The Dikes
堤防
A day at a beach on the North Sea. Kathy and Evan see their first dikes.
北海海灘一日游。凱西和艾凡生平第一次看到堤防。
K:It's really heavenly here. It's not hot at all.
凱西:這里真是人間天堂。天氣一點也不熱。
E:You know, the climate in the Netherlands is rather mild.
艾凡:你知道的,荷蘭的氣候相當溫和,
It's hardly ever hot, and the winters don't get too cold, either.
幾乎沒有炎熱的天氣,冬天也不會太冷。
K:Let's move here.
凱西:咱們搬到這里吧。
E:Whoa! We still have to visit Denmark and Sweden, not to mention the rest of Europe sooner or later.
艾凡:慢著!我們還要去丹麥和瑞典玩,更不用說有一天會到歐洲其它國家去。
Besides, I don't think I could ever leave New York.
此外,我不認為我會離開紐約。
K:See ya!
凱西:那拜拜了!
E:Oh, stop it! You love New York, too.
艾凡:哦,別鬧了!你也喜愛紐約的。
K:That's true, but it sure is a treat to see something different and as beautiful as Holland.
凱西:沒錯,但是看看不同于紐約而且和荷蘭一樣美麗的事物確實是件愉快的事。
E:You're right there. Hey, did you see those sea walls out in the ocean on our way here?
艾凡:你說得對。嘿,在我們來這兒的途中,你有沒有看到外海中的那些海墻呢?
K:Yeah. What were they? Piers?
凱西:有啊。那些是什么東西?碼頭?
E:No, those are the dikes.
艾凡:不是的,那些東西叫做堤防。
They keep the sea water out and have allowed the Dutch for hundreds of years to reclaim land from the sea.
它們擋住了海水,數百年來一直幫助荷蘭人與海爭地。
Where we are right now used to be underwater.
現在我們所在的地方以前是在水中。
K:Really? That's amazing! Well, just don't stand there. Help me look.
凱西:真的?真是不可思議!那么就別光站在那兒。幫我找找看。
E:What for? Did you drop something?
艾凡:找什么?你有東西掉了嗎?
K:No, silly. Help me look for some seashells!
凱西:沒有,呆子。幫我找些貝殼!