Yang Li: Hi I'm Yang Li, and welcome to Authentic Real English. 大家好,我是楊麗,歡迎收聽地道英語節目。
Diarmuid: And I'm Diarmuid. 我是圣保羅。
Yang Li: 這檔節目專門向大家介紹現代法語當中常用的一些詞語。
Diarmuid: Eh, Yang Li, did you say words we use in modern French? 額,楊麗,你說過我們在現代發語中用的詞嗎?
Yang Li: Yes, well done Diarmuid! Just testing you there, I wanted to see if you were on the ball today, Diarmuid. 是的,問得好,圣保羅!你就在這里測試一下我,我想看看你是不是機警的。
Diarmuid: Ah, I see. And that's today's phrase: on the ball. When you are on the ball it means you are alert and quick to react to things. 啊,我知道了。今天要學的短語就是on the ball。當你on the ball的時候是說你很機警,并且反映很快。
Yang Li: 沒錯。To be on the ball 意思是機警的。遺憾的是我們并不是總能處于機警的狀態。就象下面對話中的男子。
Examples:
A: I'm afraid your work this morning has not been good enough. You've made too many mistakes. 我恐怕你的今天早上的工作做得不是很好。你犯了太多的錯。
B: Sorry, I'm not really on the ball today. 抱歉,今天我不是很機警。
Diarmuid: So to be on the ball means to be able to react quickly to things. There's also another phrase: "to keep your eye on the ball".
Yang Li: 這個短語意思是在一個變化無常的環境下你必須要保持精神集中不走神兒。
Diarmuid: For example, in business, like investment banking.
Yang Li: 比如,金融投資。
Examples:
A: That new guy's great. 那個新來的家伙很不錯。
B: Yes, well you have to keep your eye on the ball in investment banking. 是的,你得機警地應對投資銀行。
Yang Li: 說到這里我想提醒大家,如果你要保持對英語學習的高度注意力,保持前衛,那么就要經常登陸我們的網頁跟蹤新詞新語。
Diarmuid: That's right. Our address is www.bbcchinauk.com. 說的對。
Yang Li: Eh, hang on Diarmuid. That's not our website address. 嗯,圣保羅等等。這個網站地址不是我們網站的。
Diarmuid: Ha ha, just seeing if you were on the ball! Our address is of course www.bbcukchina.com. 哈哈,就是想試探下你是否在機警的狀態下!我們的網站當然是這個了。
Yang Li: That's correct. Bye everyone. 這回說對了,大家下期再見。