Feifei: 大家好,歡迎收聽由 BBC 制作的《地道英語》。我是馮菲菲。
Diarmuid:(With his mouth full) And I'm Diarmuid. (嘴里塞得滿滿的)我是圣保羅。
Feifei: Sorry Diarmuid. I couldn't understand what you just said. 抱歉,圣保羅。我不能理解你剛才說的。
Diarmuid:(With his mouth full) I said, "And I'm Diarmuid." 我說我是圣保羅。
Feifei: I still can't hear what you're saying. Diarmuid 嘴里塞滿了吃的,我實在是不知道他在說什么。It's very bad manners to speak with your mouth full. 我還是聽不到你在說什么。嘴巴里在吃東西說話很不禮貌。
Diarmuid: Sorry Feifei. I was just having a bite to eat before the programme began but I couldn't finish it in time for us to start. The food was so stodgy. 抱歉,菲菲。我只是在節目開始前嘴里的東西還沒有吃完。我吃的這個東西那么油膩。
Feifei: Stodgy? What's that? Stodgy? 是什么?
Diarmuid: Stodgy is a word that we can use to describe food, and it's our word of the day. Stodgy. S.T.O.D.G.Y. 這個詞可以用來形容事物,這是我們今天要說的詞。
Feifei: But what does stodgy mean? 這個詞是什么意思?
Diarmuid: Stodgy is the word we use to describe food that is very heavy and filling. 我們常用這個詞形容食物不易消化并且很容易填滿肚子的。
Feifei: 原來在英語里,可以用 stodgy 這個詞來形容口感濃厚的,不易消化油膩的,但又容易填飽肚子的食物。That sounds like a lot of British food. 聽起來很多英國食物都是這樣的。
Diarmuid: I suppose that's true Feifei. Lots of foreign people would describe British food as stodgy. 我想那是真的,菲菲。很多外國人說英國的食物很油膩。
Feifei: 我也有同感!
Diarmuid: When you think about it, lots of British dishes are stodgy. Things like pies. 當你想起這個,很多英國食物的確是很油膩的。比如派。
Feifei: 餡餅,派。
Diarmuid: Puddings.
Feifei: 布丁,甜點。
Diarmuid: Roast dinners.
Feifei: 就是英國人周日和每逢過年過節時吃的烤肉大餐。
Example
A: Would you like some Christmas pudding? 你想來點圣誕布丁嗎?
B: Not for me thanks. It's far too stodgy. 我不要,謝謝。那個太油膩了。
A: Oh, I feel so full up I can barely move. 哦,我覺得我太飽了,我都動不了了。
B: You shouldn't eat so much stodgy food at lunchtime. 你不應該在午餐的時候吃那么多油膩的東西。
A: Yes, tomorrow I'll have a salad. 是的,明天我就吃色拉。
Feifei: So do you like stodgy food, Diarmuid? 你喜歡油膩的食物嗎,圣保羅?
Diarmuid: Sometimes, yes. Like the steak and kidney pie I was eating for lunch. Actually there was so much pie I couldn't finish it. Would you like some? 有時會喜歡。比如我午餐吃的牛排和腰子。事實上,派太多了,我都吃不過來。你喜歡吃嗎?
Feifei: Yes please. 我餓死了!Hmmm. 是的,我喜歡。