Feifei: 大家好,歡迎收聽由BBC制作的《地道英語》。我是馮菲菲。
Diarmuid: And I'm Diarmuid. So I've got a present for you Fefei. Here you are. 我是圣保羅。菲菲,我有一個禮物要給你。給你。
Feifei: Oh thank you... er, what is it? 哦,謝謝……這是什么?
Diarmuid: It's a stick of rock. 這是巖石里德一根棍子。
Feifei: A stick of rock. 怎么能在巖石里插一根棍子呢?But sticks are made of wood. 但是棍子是木頭的。
Diarmuid: Indeed they are. But this is not a real stick and it's not made of rock either. It's a kind of sweet or candy that they sell at the seaside. 它們確實是木質的。這是在海邊賣的一種糖。
Feifei: But why is it called rock if it is a sweet? 但是如果它甜的話為什么叫它巖石呢?
Diarmuid: Try taking a bite. 試著咬一口。
Feifei: Ok. 好的。
(Crunching sound)
Feifei: Ow! My teeth! 這個糖也太硬了吧,差點兒把我的牙都崩了。
Diarmuid: Now you know why it's called rock. 現在你知道它為什么叫巖石了吧。
Feifei: 這糖上面好像還寫著一個什么詞。What does that word say? 上面寫著什么?
Diarmuid: It says Blackpool. That's a holiday resort in the north of England. 黒潭。那是一個旅游勝地,在英格蘭的北部。
Feifei: Blackpool 是英格蘭一個著名旅游度假勝地。
Diarmuid: Yes, this year I decided to go on holiday here in the UK instead of going to foreign country. 是的,今年我打算在英國度假,不去國外度假了。
Feifei: So you had a staycation? 所以說你要在本國度假。
Diarmuid: Exactly. This year I had a staycation. S.T.A.Y.C.A.T.I.O.N. And that's our Authentic Real English word of the day. 確實如此。今年我在本國度假。這個詞就是我們地道英語今天要學的詞。
Feifei: Staycation. it sounds like the word vacation. 這個詞聽起來和假期有點像。
Diarmuid: Yes, it's a new word that reflects the current economic situation in the UK. 是的,這是一個新的詞,反映出英國現在的經濟狀況。
Feifei: 世界金融危機,英國也沒能逃掉,所以很多英國人現在選擇在英國境內度假來省錢。So staycation is a newly invented word that represents a current trend in the UK. 所以這個一個新出現的詞,反映了英國現在的形勢。
Diarmuid: Yes. The word has two parts: stay, as in stay here in Britain. And—cation which is part of the word vacation. 是的,這個詞有兩個部分:stay指留在英國,cation指度假。
Feifei: So a staycation is a holiday when you stay in your own country instead of going abroad. 所以在本國度假就是指你待在自己的國家而不是出國旅行。
Example
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A: Where are you going on holiday this year? 今年你打算去那兒?
B: I'm having a staycation. I'm going to stay in the UK and go camping in the countryside. 我打算在國內度假。我想在英國的鄉村野營。
A: What a good idea for saving money. 這是一個可以省錢的好主意。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feifei: So did you enjoy your holiday in Blackpool. 你在黒潭的假期如何?
Diarmuid: Yes, it was great... except for the terrible weather... and the bad food... and the terrible nightlife... and the miserable people... did I say it rained everyday. 是的,很好……除了很糟糕的天氣……還有不好的食物……惡劣的夜生活……卑鄙的人……我說過一直下雨了嗎?