Diarmuid: No... that's no good. (scribbling noises) Oh no, that's even worse. 不,那樣不好。哦不,那樣更差勁。
Jean: Hi Diarmuid, what are you up to? 嗨,圣保羅,你要做什么?
Diarmuid: Hello Jean. I'm trying to think of some chat-up lines. 珍,你好。我在想一些搭訕的話。
Jean: Chat-up lines? 聽起來穆達想找個女朋友。So how is single life going? 你的單身生活怎么樣?
Diarmuid: Terrible. I just can't seem to meet a new woman and I'm fed up of being single. The trouble is I'm no good at chatting up girls. 很糟糕。我已經受夠了單身,但是似乎很難接觸女人。問題是我不是很擅長和女孩子們聊天。
Jean: Chat up. Is that our Authentic Real English word of the day? 聊天。這個詞組是今天我們地道英語里面要學的嗎?
Diarmuid:It certainly is. To chat up. C.H.A.T. U.P. 當然是。搭訕。
Jean: Chat up. 和異性搭訕。也就是想說點風趣的話來吸引心中喜歡的異性的注意力。
Diarmuid: Some people use chat-up lines to start a conversation with someone they like. 有些人用搭訕的話與他們同類的人開始對話。
Jean: 那么 chat-up line 調情的話,也就是搭訕的開頭語了。And you are working on your chat-up lines? 你致力于這些搭訕的話嗎?
Diarmuid: That's right. 是的。
Jean: Well, why don't we go to the imaginary BBC Learning English nightclub to see how well your chat-up lines work? 嗯,為什么我們不去設置的BBC英語學習夜總會情境中體會一下搭訕的話怎么說呢?
Diarmuid: Let's do it! 來吧!
(Sound FX-nightclub music) FX-nightclub音樂聲音
Jean: Ok Diarmuid. There's a pretty girl. Go and chat her up. 好的,圣保羅,那兒有一個漂亮女生。去跟她搭訕吧。
Diarmuid: Ok here goes... Hi, I'm Diarmuid and I've got a question for you. 好的,這就去……你好,我是圣保羅,我想問你一些問題。
Girl 1: Oh yeah? 什么問題?
Diarmuid: Was your father a thief? Because someone stole the stars from the sky and put them in your eyes. 你父親曾是個小偷嗎?因為有人偷了星星放在你的眼睛里,讓它那么得美。
Girl 1: Ugh, what a terrible old chat-up line. 額,老掉牙的搭訕語啊。
Jean: Hmm, didn't work, eh? Why don't you try a different girl? She looks nice. 嗯,不起作用嗎?為什么不換另一個女生呢?她看上去很美。
Diarmuid: Ok, wait here... Hi, I'm Diarmuid. You know when they invented the alphabet they should have put U and I together. Can I get you a drink? 好的,在這里等下我……你好,我是圣保羅。當字母表被發明出來的時候,你和我應該放在一起。我能請你喝杯咖啡嗎?
Girl 2: No thanks. I'll buy my own. 不,謝謝。我買我自己的。
Jean: Still no luck? What about that girl over there? She's alone. 還是不走運嗎?那邊的女孩呢?她是單獨一個人。
Diarmuid: All right. Let's give it a go... Hello, I'm Diarmuid. I seem to have lost my phone number. Can I have yours instead? 好的。這就去試試……你好,我是圣保羅。我好想忘記了我的電話號碼。我能用你的代替下嗎?
Girl 3: I don't think my boyfriend would like that. He's the big guy at the bar. 我覺得我的男友不是很喜歡那樣。你是酒吧里的老大。
Diarmuid: Bye! This isn't working Jean. Can we go back to the studio? 再見! 珍,這些都不起作用。我們能回答工作室嗎?
Jean: Ok, come on then. 好的,走吧。