Jean: Hello everybody and welcome to another Authentic Real English from BBC Learning English with me Jean. 大家好,歡迎來到BBC學英語的純正地道英語節目,我是珍。
Diarmuid: And me Diarmuid. 我是圣保羅。
Jean: So, what are we going to talk about today Diarmuid? 圣保羅,我們今天要談論什么?
Diarmuid: I want to talk about my sister's wedding. 我想談我姐姐的婚禮。
Jean: Ah, how nice! 穆達的姐姐要結婚了。That will be a wonderful day. I'm sure you're looking forward to it. 那會是個盛大的日子。我確信你會很期待它。
Diarmuid: Yes, I am looking forward to it... being over. 是的,我一直期待著……
Jean: Oh, you don't sound very happy about it. 哦,你聽上去不是很高興嘛。
Diarmuid: Between you and me Jean, since she started planning this wedding, my sister has become very, how can I put it? Demanding. 告訴你個秘密吧,自從她開始籌備婚禮,我姐姐變得非常,怎么說呢?
Jean: Demanding 有很多要求的。
Diarmuid: Bossy.
Jean: Bossy 愛發號施令的。
Diarmuid: Even a bit hysterical.
Jean: Hysterical 情緒異常激動地。 結婚不是喜氣洋洋的事兒嗎?怎么會成了愛發號施令,要求繁瑣的情況了呢?Bossy, demanding—but why? A wedding day should be a happy occasion. 為什么呢,婚禮應該是個好事。
Diarmuid: Basically, she's out of control. She's become a bridezilla! 根本上說,她已經失去控制,變成了一個瘋狂的新娘。
Jean: Bridezilla? 聽起來又像是一個穆達特別喜歡用的混合詞。Is that a word made by putting two other words together?
Diarmuid: Yes, and it's today's word. Bridezilla. B.R.I.D.E.Z.I.L.L.A. Bridezilla. It's a combination of the words bride...
Jean: 新娘。
Diarmuid: And Godzilla.
Jean: Godzilla 哥斯拉。 這是個在日本和美國動畫片和電影中出現過的怪獸。Bridezilla 就是把這兩個字合起來,形容那些行為變得非常難以令人接受的準新娘們,簡直就是新娘怪物了。
Diarmuid: She's telling everyone what to do. She's demanding that everything is perfect for her big day. And if she doesn't get what she wants, she gets really upset. 她總是告訴每個人該做什么。她要求婚禮那天一切都是完美的。如果她得不到她想要的,她就會很失落。
Jean: What a nightmare! 真是個噩夢!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Example
A: It's my wedding and it has to be perfect! It has to be a like a fairytale wedding and if it isn't perfect then I'll never forgive you. It's my special day and everything has to be the way I want it! 這是我的婚禮,它應該是完美的!它應該想童話故事里面的婚禮一樣,如果它不完美,我將不會原諒你。這是我特別的日子,任何事都應該像我想的那樣進行。
B: Alright, alright, no need to be a bridezilla. 好吧,好吧,你不應該成為一個難纏的新娘。
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Jean: I'm sure your sister isn't as bad as the bride in the example there. 我想你的姐姐應該不會比例子里面的新娘更糟糕了吧。
Diarmuid: Maybe not, but she certainly knows how to let everyone know when she's not happy. 或許沒有吧,但是她一定知道在她不高興的時候讓每個人都知道。
Jean: All women know how to do that Diarmuid. 所有女人都知道怎么做,圣保羅。
Diarmuid: And quite a few men too. 還有一些男人也會。
Jean: Well, that's all for today now. Now when is the wedding? 嗯,今天就到這了。婚禮什么時候進行?
Diarmuid: It's at the weekend so wish us all luck. 這周末,祝我們都好運吧。
Jean: I'm sure she won't become a monster. 我保證她不會成為難纏的新娘的。