Diarmuid: Hi everyone. It's Diarmuid here with today's edition of Authentic Real English. And I'm joined by my co-presenter Wang Fei. 大家好,今天和你在地道英語節目見面的是圣保羅,和我一起搭檔的是王飛。
Wang Fei: Hello everybody. 大家好。
Diarmuid: So Wang Fei, are you ready to record the best programme of your life? 所以王飛,你準備好人生的計劃了嗎?
Wang Fei: Of course. 當然。
Diarmuid: Are you keen and motivated? 你有動力嗎?
Wang Fei: Yes, I am! Keen and motivated! 有熱情,也有動力。
Diarmuid: Are you prepared to work as hard as you possibly can and then work a little bit more. 你準備好盡可能地努力工作然后一點點地增加嗎?
Wang Fei: Diarmuid, you are really pushing me to work hard today. What's happening? 圣保羅,你是想讓我今天努力工作嗎。有什么事?
Diarmuid: I want you to give 110% for this programme. 我希望你做節目的時候加倍地努力。
Wang Fei: You want me to give 110%. Why? 你想讓我給110%,為什么?
Diarmuid: Because that's today's Authentic Real English phrase. 因為這個表達是今天我們要學習的。
Wang Fei: Oh! 原來我們今天的地道英語新詞就是 give 110%.
Diarmuid: Yes. To give 110%; can you guess what it means? 是的,付出110%;你能猜出它的意思嗎?
Wang Fei: 其實,從節目一開始我就悟出來了,這個詞的意思是竭盡全力把某件事做好,或不遺余力地去完成任務,達到目標。So to give 110% means try very hard. 所以說給出110%就是說要加倍努力。
Diarmuid: That's right. We use this phrase especially in the sense of trying hard at work. 是的。我們在想要表達一種努力工作的意識時用這個短語。
Wang Fei: But why it is 110% instead of 100%? Surely that means working as hard as you can. 但是為什么用110%代替100%呢?當然100%也是表達全力以赴。
Diarmuid: Indeed. But this expression means that you are going to exceed what is expected.
Wang Fei: Exceed what is expected. 超出別人對你的期望,所以就要做110%的努力,這個意思和漢語中的“加倍努力”很相似。
Diarmuid: Let's hear it in use. 來聽它是怎么用的吧。
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A: So why should we give you this job? 所以,我們為什么要給你這份工作呢?
B: I'm highly qualified and experienced, and I always give 110%. 我十分合適也很有經驗,并且我會加倍努力。
A: I'm so proud of my football team. They gave 110% for the full 90 minutes. 我為我的足球隊感到榮耀。他們會再90分鐘里全力以赴。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wang Fei: So do you always give 110% Diarmuid? 你做什么都會全力以赴嗎?
Diarmuid: Of course. 當然。
Wang Fei: Really. 真的么。
Diarmuid: Well, if I'm having a really bad day, I may only give 109%. 是的,如果我狀態不好,我也會付出109%的努力。
Wang Fei: Diarmuid 最少也要付出109%的努力! What a hard worker you are! 你真是個努力的人啊!
Diarmuid: Thanks Wang Fei. Oh look, it's 5 o'clock. Time for me to go home now. 王飛謝謝。哦,看啊,現在5點了。到下班的時間了。
Wang Fei: 你看看你,可真夠懶的!才5點就想下班回家了! Alright! Time to go now folks. See you soon. 好吧!是時候走了。再見。
Giving 110% to win.