Dan: Hello and welcome to Authentic Real English from BBC Learning English. I'm Dan. 大家好,歡迎收聽地道英語節目。我是丹。
Feifei: 大家好,我是馮菲菲。Dan have you arranged everything for the office party tomorrow? 明天辦公室聚會的一切事宜你都安排妥當了吧?
Dan: The party? Oh absolutely. 聚會呀?沒問題。
Feifei: You remembered to book the restaurant? 你沒忘了訂酒店吧?
Dan: Uh-huh. 嗯。
Feifei: Because it's really important that it's been reserved. 你可千萬要記住訂一個桌子,否則明天晚上的晚餐聚會就沒戲了, 這個非常重要。
Dan: Really important. Gotcha. 很重要,Gotcha.
Feifei: Gotcha? Gotcha 什么意思?
Dan: Gotcha. It means I understand. It's short for I've got you. Gotcha意思就是“我明白了”,是I've got you的簡短說法。
Feifei: Ah gotcha. Gotcha 的意思就是懂了,明白了。So if you understand something you can say gotcha. Is it rude? 那么一件事情你懂了的話就可以說gotcha。會不會不太禮貌?
Dan: Well, it's very informal. You wouldn't hear it in a very polite conversation. Let's hear some examples of people using the phrase gotcha. 這是一種非正式的說法,不會出現在很禮貌的談話中。我們來看幾個例子。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Example
A: Don't forget to post those letters – they're really important.
別忘了把這些信寄出去,這可是很重要的。
B: Gotcha; I'll do that right now.
明白。我馬上去辦。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan: So gotcha there means I understand. But it can also be used to show you've just played a joke on someone. 因此gotcha意思就是我明白了,也可以用來表示你只是在跟某人開玩笑。
Feifei: 我們和某人開玩笑,那個人當真了,這時我們就可以說 gotcha.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Examples
A: Hey did you know that they're adding Brad Pitt's face to Mount Rushmore? 你知道嗎?布拉德皮特的頭像被雕刻到拉什莫爾山上了。
B: No way! That's incredible! 不會吧!怎么可能!
A: Ahh gotcha! They're not really! 哈!是假的。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A: Hey these tickets are really cheap! 嘿!這票很便宜啊。
B: Yeah, but the gotcha is that the flights are really early. 是啊,不過比賽開始的太早了。
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan: In that last example gotcha wasn't being used to show that he was playing a joke, but instead that there was a catch or a hitch. Although the tickets were cheap, the gotcha was that the flights were really early. 在第二個例子中gotcha并不表示開玩笑,而是隱藏的問題、困難、圈套。這句的意思是雖然門票便宜,但問題是比賽開始的太早了。
Feifei: So gotcha 也有隱情,圈套的意思。
Dan: Right, I better go now Feifei. I've got to book the table for tomorrow. 菲菲,我要走了。我得去酒店訂一張桌子。
Feifei: What? You said you'd booked it already! 什么?你不是說已經訂好了嗎?
Dan: Ahh gotcha! Of course I have. 騙你的!我當然早就訂好了。
Feifei: Ugh. Don't forget to check out more Authentic Real English on our website bbcukchina.com. 請大家更多的關注我們的節目。
Dan: Bye! 再見!
Feifei: Bye! 再見!