Diarmuid: Hello everybody and welcome to another Authentic Real English from BBC Learning English with me, Diarmuid. 大家好,歡迎和我們一起收聽BBC學英語——地道美語節目,我是Diarmuid。
Wang Fei: And me, Wang Fei. 還有我,王飛。
Diarmuid: So what's that you're reading, Wang Fei? 王飛你在讀什么?
Wang Fei: It's a celebrity magazine. I'm looking at these beautiful female celebrities. 一本名人雜志。我正在看這些漂亮的女明星。你看,這些女明星個個都漂亮!有些人都歲數一大把了,也有的已經生兒育女了,看上去仍然這么年輕!簡直讓人難以置信。
Diarmuid: Ooh, let's have a look. 我們一起看看吧。
Wang Fei: Look at them. They are all so perfect. How do they do it? They must spend all day in the gym. 看看她們,簡直完美無瑕。她們是怎么做到的?肯定是整天都泡在健身房里。
Diarmuid: Wow! They do look good, don't they? Too good to be true really. 哇!看上去真不錯,是吧?簡直都不像真的。
Wang Fei: What do you mean they look too good to be true? 怎么不像真的?
Diarmuid: Come on, Wang Fei. You don't believe these photos are real, do you? 拜托,王飛。你該不會相信這些照片是真的吧?
Wang Fei: 不是真的?!Diarmuid 為什么說這不是真的?Diarmuid, are you saying that these pictures are not real? 你的意思是這些照片是假的?
Diarmuid: Of course they're real. But that doesn't mean they haven't been airbrushed. 當然是真的了。但并不意味著沒有被airbrush過。
Wang Fei: Airbrushed. What do you mean by airbrush? Airbrush 是什么意思?
Diarmuid: Airbrushed. That's two words put together: air. 這是兩個詞合在一起組成的。air.
Wang Fei: Air. 空氣。
Diarmuid: And brush.
Wang Fei: Brush 刷子。
Diarmuid: Airbrush. A.I.R.B.R.U.S.H.
Wang Fei: And the meaning? 意思是?
Diarmuid: An airbrush originally meant a tool used to spray paint to cover a surface. Airbrush 通常指的是一種噴涂顏料進行表面遮蓋的工具。
Wang Fei: Oh! Airbrush 就是噴油漆的噴霧器,噴漆槍。
Diarmuid: But it also refers to a photographic technique used to make corrections to photographs. 但也指一種圖像處理技術,用于修改圖片。
Wang Fei: Oh! 明白了。Airbrushing 就是對照片加以精工細作的粉刷美化,特別是讓照片上的人,看上去比實際要好看很多。
Diarmuid: Let's hear some examples. 我們來看一下例子吧。
Examples
A: Have you seen those photos of Madonna? She looks amazing.
看見這些麥當娜的照片了嗎?她看上去真漂亮。
B: They're probably airbrushed. She can't still look that good at her age.
這可能是修飾過的。她不可能這么大年紀還這么漂亮。
A: What do you think of airbrushed photos of celebrities in magazines?
你怎么看待雜志上那些明星們被修飾過的照片?
B: I disagree with it. It means people grow up hating their own bodies because they're not like these fake images.
我不贊成。這意味著人們開始對自己的相貌感到不滿,只因自己沒有那些做出來的圖片好看。
Wang Fei: Diarmuid, do people really use an airbrush to alter these photographs? Diarmuid, 這些圖片真的被人用噴槍修改過?
Diarmuid: In the past yes, but nowadays people use computer programmes like Photoshop to change digital images. 過去是這樣的。但如今大家用Photoshop這樣的電腦程序修改數字圖像。
Wang Fei: 確實如此,用圖片處理軟件一處理,照片就會比實際好看很多了。
Diarmuid: So don't believe everything you see in magazines and websites. That's all for today folks. 因此不要輕易相信你在雜志或者網站上看到的東西。那都是做給當今的人們看的。
Wang Fei: 歡迎大家登陸我們的網站了解更多的新詞新語 www.bbcukchina.com.
Diarmuid: Bye for now.
Wang Fei: Bye.