新英語900句視頻版 第31課:怎么認識的 文本如下:
MIGUEL: Marta, how did you meet Michael Crawford?
瑪它,你是怎樣認識麥可·郭佛的?
MARTA: It's a funny story. One day while I was coming down 88th Street,
說起來真好笑,有一天我順著八十八街走的時候,
MARTA: I tripped and fell.
失足跌倒了,
MARTA: My packages spilled all over the sidewalk.
攜帶的東西都散落了整個人行道.
MARTA: I twisted my ankle, and I couldn't stand up.
我的腳踝扭傷,簡直無法站起來.
MIGUEL: Didn't anyone help you?
沒有人幫你嗎?
MARTA: A couple was passing by and helped me pick up my groceries. They even carried them home for me. The guy was Michael.
剛好有一對男女走過,他們幫助我把東西揀起來,還替我拿回家去,那個男的就是麥可.
MIGUEL: How long ago was that?
多久以前的事?
MARTA: Oh, about a year ago, I guess. Then, as we were walking home, he mentioned he lived in the neighborhood. So I made a friend.
噢,大概一年以前.我想。然后在回家的途中,他說他就住在附近,于是我們交了朋友,
MARTA: He gives me English lessons, too.
他還替我補習英文.
MIGUEL: But he's a painter, isn't he?
咦?他不是一個畫家嗎?
MARTA: Yes, I think so. Why?
嗯,好像是,你為什么問這個?
MIGUEL: I'm just putting two and two together.
舉一反三嘛!
MARTA: What do you mean?
什么意思?
MIGUEL: I saw a picture of Michael on Pedro's desk.
我在佩德羅的書桌上看到麥可的照片.
MARTA: Michael and Pedro!
麥可和佩德羅!
MARTA: I didn't know they knew each other.
他們彼此認識,我倒還不知道.
MIGUEL: Neither did I. But apparently, they used to be best friends.
我也不知道.不過,很顯然的,他們一度是最好的朋友.
MARTA: Really?
真的?
MARTA: They don't seem to have much in common.
他們好像并沒有什么共同點,
MARTA: What happened?
是怎么回事?
MIGUEL: To make a long story short, Michael's old girlfriend fell in love with Pedro.
長話短說,麥可以前的女朋友與佩德羅相愛了.
MARTA: Oh.
噢,
MARTA: That sounds like Pedro.
聽起來就像是佩德羅干的.
MIGUEL: No, it wasn't exactly Pedro's fault, but Michael wouldn't speak to him after that.
不,這不完全是佩德羅的過失,但是從那個時候起,麥可就不愿意和他說話了.
MARTA: That's understandable.
那是可以了解的.
MIGUEL: Maybe. But it's a shame.
也許.不過,我總覺得那是很丟人的.
MARTA: Well, Michael is sensitive. That's why he's so charming.
嗯,麥可就是敏感一點,所以才那么令人著迷.
MIGUEL: Yes, but now that Michael is seeing Joana, I hope he'll forgive Pedro.
不錯,但是麥可既然和瓊娜在談戀愛,我希望他會原諒佩德羅.
MARTA: You don't have to worry about Pedro.
你用不著替佩德羅擔憂.
MIGUEL: I know, but I think a good friendship deserves a second chance.
我知道,但是我認為深厚的友情應該有言歸于好的機會.
MARTA: So do I, but...
我也這樣覺得,不過...
MIGUEL: And Pedro needs his old friend. He's very lonely.
爾且佩德羅需要他的老朋友,他非常孤單.
MARTA: Lonely? Every time I see him he's with a different woman.
孤單?每次我看到他都和不同的女孩子在一起.