新英語900句視頻版 第29課:閱讀與復習 文本如下:
Gary, my brother. Gary Whitney Crawford, Jr.
我哥哥維特尼·郭佛,
He looks just like me, you know, Joana. At least he used to.
你知道的, 瓊娜他和我長得一模一樣, 至少以前很像.
He's eighteen months older than I am, but as kids we used to wear the same clothes and pretend we were twins!
他比我大十八個月, 但是我們小的時候都穿同樣的衣服, 假裝我們是雙胞胎.
Gary was the greatest brother in the world, and in many ways, he was may father, too.
葛瑞是個全世界最好的哥哥, 在很多方面, 他也可作我爸爸.
Dad didn't have time for me.
我爸爸沒有時間陪我,
He was too busy.
他太忙碌了.
Gary and I went to the same college, but that's when things started to change.
我和葛瑞上同一間大學, 可是到那個時候, 情況就開始轉變了,
He studied business.
他學商了.
Why did he study business?
他為甚么學商業?
Because my father wanted him to.
因為我爸爸要他這樣做,
He used to study night and day.
他日以繼夜的念書,
I studied art and worked hard at it.
我學藝術, 而且很用功.
But I had time for my friends, too.
不過, 我還有時間和朋友在一起.
Gary and I saw each other less and less.
我和葛瑞彼此見面的機會愈來愈少.
When Gary graduated, he went to work for my father.
葛瑞畢業以后就到我爸爸的公司去作事.
He stayed at the office until late at night.
他很晚才離開辦公室,
He kept to himself a lot.
不常和別人交談.
Like my father, Gary was always busy.
葛瑞像我爸爸一樣, 一天到晚忙著.
Then one night, Gary and my father had a terrible fight.
后來有一天晚上, 葛瑞和爸爸吵架, 吵得驚天動地.
The next morning Gary moved out.
第二天早上葛瑞就搬走了,
We never saw him again.
我們以后再也沒有看到他.
About a year ago, a college friend of mine saw Gary in London.
大概一年以前, 我大學時代的一個同學在倫敦看到葛瑞,
He was with a woman and a baby.
他和一個女的還有一個小孩在一起.
My friend was sure it was Gary. 我
那個同學確定那是葛瑞,
He never forgets a face.
他永遠不會忘記那張臉.
I would like to write about two people, a man and a woman.
我要寫的是關于兩個人, 一個男人和一個女人的故事.
They live quiet lives.
他們過著很平靜的生活,
When they go out into the street, no one asks for their autographs, but everyone in their profession knows and respects them.
當他們出門在街上走的時候, 沒有人要求他們的親筆簽名, 但是他們的同行都知道他們, 也都尊敬他們,
They work as a team.
他們一起工作如同一個小組.
The woman is a journalist.
女的是位新聞記者,
The man is a photographer.
男的是位攝影師.
They met on their first job.
他們是在擔任第一份工作的時候認識的,
They both worked for a famous picture magazine.
兩個人同在一個有名的書刊雜志社作事.
She wrote the articles, and he took the photographs.
她負責寫文章, 而他負責照相片.
The magazine sent them all over the world to cover important events.
雜志社派他們到世界各地去采訪重要的新聞,
They won many awards and medals.
他們贏得了很多獎賞和徽章.
One day the magazine went bankrupt.
有一天雜志社破產了,
Many other magazines and newspapers offered them positions,
很多其他雜志社和報社都提供他們工作的職位,
but at this point the man and the woman decided to work independently.
但在這個時候, 他們決定從事獨立作業方式.
She decided she wanted to write a book about her experiences at the magazine.
她決定寫一本描述她在書刊雜志社工作時的經過,
He wanted to work on a photographic essay on bonsai.
他則想作一本盆栽的照片專集.
For once, they did not worry about deadlines and editors.
他們首次可以不用為截稿日期和編輯而煩惱.
They enjoyed their work and grew professionally.
他們工作感到很愉快, 而逐漸嶄露頭角.
Their books were successful.
他們的書都很暢銷,
When they finished their separate projects,
當完成了個別的計劃之后,
they decided to work as a team again.
他們決定再度合作.
Now they are ready to go, day or night, on a moment's notice.
現在他們隨時準備出動,
When there are earthquakes in Honduras, they are there.
當宏都拉斯發生大地震時,他們在那里采訪;
When there are battles in the Middle East, they are there.
當中東有戰役時,他們在那里訪問;
When there are local tragedies, they are there, too.
當地方發生悲慘事件時,他們也在那兒采訪.
My parents are a great team.
我的父母就是這個偉大小組的成員.
James Yamamoto
山本杰美斯
Look at all those people.
看看那許多人,
They all have good jobs and houses in the country.
他們都有很好的工作,并且在鄉下都擁有房子,
OK., maybe all of them don't have houses in the country, but they probably have more than you.
好吧!他們不一定每一個人都在鄉下有房子,但是或許他們擁有的比你還多.
Laura, stop it.
得了,羅拉,
Don't feel so sorry for yourself.
不要為自己感到難過,
Nobody likes to get out and look for a job.
沒有一個人喜歡出來找工作,
I'm getting depressed again.
我又情緒低落了,
It's time for a change.
該是換換環境了,
Maybe I'll meet someone in an elevator, and he'll offer me a wonderful job.
也許我會在電梯里認識一個人,然后他將提供給我一份理想的工作,
My worries will be over.
我就沒有煩惱,
Stop it, Laura. Be realistic.
得了,羅拉,現實點.
Yes, it's time for a change.
對,我應該換一個環境了,
I hate offices.
我討厭辦公室,
I don't hate work - that's why I got the job with Crawford - but I don't like offices.
我不厭惡工作,所以才到郭佛那里去作事,但是我不喜歡辦公室,
I don't feel human in an office.
我覺得在公司里不像個人.
I'd rather work with people than with files and typewriters.
我喜歡和別人接觸,不喜歡和檔案、打字機作伴.
But how?
要怎么樣才可以呢?
I could be a real estate agent, a travel agent,
我可以當房地產經紀人、旅行經紀人、
a... anything, as long as it isn't boring.
或什么都行,只要不令人無聊就可以.
Claire's going to law school.
克蕾爾正讀法律學校.
Crawford's son, what's his name? ...Michael, Yes.
郭佛的兒子,他叫什么名字? ...麥可.對了,
He wants to be an artist.
他想作藝術家.
Henry Leeds likes his job.
亨利·里德斯喜歡他的工作,
He doesn't want to do anything else.
他不想再做其他事情,
It is possible to be happy at your job.
一個人能從自己的工作得到快樂,到底不是不可能的.
I could teach Spanish.
我可以教西班牙文,
No, I don't have the patience.
不,我沒有這份耐心.
I think I'd to be my own boss.
我想我會喜歡自己當老板.
I like to sew.
我喜歡做針線.
Maybe I could open a small dress shop.
也許我可以開一家小服裝店.
I wonder how much you need to start a shop.
不知道開一個店需要多少錢.
My head is spinning.
我頭昏腦脹,
I must be getting hungry.
大概是餓了吧,
I'm tired, too.
而且也疲倦.
Maybe I'm getting a cold.
也許我感冒了,
No. You're not getting a cold.
不,你并不是感冒,
You're just depressed. And scared.
你只是沮喪和害怕.
A dress shop. I'll have to think about that.
開一家服裝店,這個應該多研究研究.
Would you like to order now?
小姐想吃什么?