【財富大檢閱】
第一筆財富:
slip one’s mind: escape one’s memory; someone forgets something 使某人一時想不起來;忘記某事
【Kim’s Note】 This is a softer way of saying, “I forgot”. For some reason, people are more accepting of this excuse than they are of simply saying “I forgot.”
* I meant to call you when I got to Beijing but I was so busy it slipped my mind.
(我本來是打算到北京就給你打電話的,但是我太忙了,所以就忘了。)
* Sometimes his own telephone number would slip his mind.
(有時候他會把自己的電話號碼給忘記。)
* My aunt asked me to take care of her dog today while she’s out. But it totally slipped my mind.
(阿姨叫我在她外出時照看一下她的狗,可我把它給忘得一干二凈了。)
* It had slipped my mind that you were arriving today.
(我把你今天抵達的事忘記了。)
第二筆財富:
(something) come to someone: (something) occur to someone / strike someone 某人想起某事;(思想意識等)到某人腦子里
* Her name finally came to him.
(他終于記起了她的姓名。)
* The idea just came to me.
(我剛剛想出這主意。)
* I’m trying to remember the address of the hotel, but it just won’t come to me.
(我努力回想賓館地址,但就是想不起來。)
第三筆財富:
go on / run errands: go on a short trip in order to do something for someone or deliver a message 跑腿;為某人辦事;出差
* I have a lot of errands to run this morning for my boss.
(今天早上老板交給我好多跑腿的事。)
* It’s the children’s job to run errands for the parents.
(為父母跑跑腿是孩子們應該做的事情。)
* He was tired of running errands for his sister.
(他已厭煩給姐姐當跑腳了。)
第四筆財富:
in the nick of time: just in time; at the necessary moment 恰好;正是時候
* The fight was getting out of control. It was lucky the police arrived in the nick of time.
(斗毆失去了控制,幸好這時候警察來了。)
* They arrived in the nick of time to save us.
(在緊要關頭他們正好趕到來救我們。)
* You got here in the nick of time – the train’s just leaving.
(你來得真是時候 —— 火車正要開。)
第五筆財富:
rule of thumb: a way learned by practical experience; a quick and not very exact way of doing
something 單靠經驗或實踐得來的方法;粗略而簡便的方法
* I never measure rice and water when I’m cooking – I just do it by rule of thumb.
(我做飯時,從不量米量水,只憑經驗。)
* We don’t have a written policy on dating in the office but I’ve learned from rule of thumb that it’s a bad idea.
(對于辦公室戀情我們沒有明文規定,但是我憑經驗就知道那不是什么好事。)
* As a rule of thumb, you should cook a chicken for 20 minutes for each pound that it weighs.
(憑經驗估計,每磅雞肉應烹調20分鐘。)
第六筆財富:
on the safe side: take a precaution in order to avoid a risk or loss; just to be sure 為了穩妥起見;以防萬一;安全地
* Take some extra money with you just to be on the safe side.
(以防萬一,你還是多帶點錢在身上。)
* I always carry some medicine with me whenever I’m traveling, just to be on the safe side.
(旅行時,我總是隨身帶著藥,以防萬一。)
* You’d better make a copy of your Identity Card, just to be on the safe side.
(你最好把身份證復印一份,以防萬一。)
* Although the sun was shining the other day, my father took the umbrella with him to be on the safe side.
(雖然那天陽光明媚,我父親還是帶上了雨傘以防不測。)
第七筆財富:
clue someone in: give someone necessary information for understanding something or finding an answer 向某人提供必要的情況;使他對此情況有所了解
* I just don’t understand what’s going on and I don’t want to just wait around for someone to clue me in!
(我不明白出現了什么情況,我不想就這樣傻等著誰來告訴我。)
* I’m a newcomer here. I would really appreciate it if you could clue me in on the library of the school.
(我新來乍到,如果你能給我介紹一下學校的圖書館,我將不勝感激。)
* Since I missed the last meeting, I would like to have you clue me in on what happened.
(我錯過了上次的會議,請你給我介紹一下上次談判的情況。)
* He will clue you in about this.
(關于這件事,他會給你提供情況的。)
第八筆財富:
kill two birds with one stone: do two things at the same time 一箭雙雕;一舉兩得
* If you are going to America on a business trip next week, you could kill two birds with one stone and
do your Christmas shopping at the same time.
(如果你下星期去倫敦出差,你可以一舉兩得,同時在那兒購買圣誕禮物。)
* I always get my nails manicured while I get my hair cut, that way I can kill two birds with one stone.
(每次我去剪頭發的時候都會修指甲,這樣我可以一舉兩得。)
【瘋狂實戰】
A: Since you’re going to pick up Nancy from the fitness class, why don’t you kill two birds with one stone and pick up Jane after her ballet class?
(你既然去健身班接南茜,那你順便把上完芭蕾舞課的珍尼接回來好嗎?)
B: OK, no problem.
(可以,沒問題。)