Message by United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres on the Occasion of the International Mother Earth Day
聯合國秘書長安東尼奧·古特雷斯國際地球母親日致辭
22 April 2022
2022年4月22日
Today is International Mother Earth Day.
今天是國際地球母親日。
It is a chance to reflect on how humanity has been treating our planet.
這是反思人類如何對待我們地球的機會。
The truth is, we have been poor custodians of our fragile home.
事實是,我們一直沒能好好看護我們脆弱的家園。
Today, the Earth is facing a triple planetary crisis.
今天,地球正面臨三重危機。
Climate disruption.
氣候失調;
Nature and biodiversity loss.
自然和生物多樣性喪失;
Pollution and waste.
污染和浪費。
This triple crisis is threatening the well-being and survival of millions of people around the world.
這三重危機正威脅著全世界千百萬人的生存和福祉。
The building blocks of happy, healthy lives – clean water, fresh air, a stable and predictable climate – are in disarray, putting the Sustainable Development Goals in jeopardy.
幸福、健康生活的基石——清潔水、新鮮空氣、穩定和可預測的氣候,都正處于混亂之中,危及可持續發展目標。
But there is still hope.
但希望仍在。
Fifty years ago, the world came together for the Stockholm Conference.
50年前,全世界聚集在一起召開斯德哥爾摩會議。
It was the start of the global environmental movement.
那是全球環境運動的發端。
Since then, we have seen what is possible when we act as one.
從那時起,我們看到,當我們齊心合力時可以實現什么成果。
We have shrunk the ozone hole.
我們縮小了臭氧洞。
We have expanded protections for wild life and ecosystems.
我們擴大了對野生生物和生態系統的保護。
We have ended the use of leaded fuel, preventing millions of premature deaths.
我們停止使用含鉛燃料,防止了數百萬人過早死亡。
And just last month, we launched a landmark global effort to prevent and end plastic pollution.
而就在上個月,我們發起了一項具有里程碑意義的全球努力,防止并結束塑料污染。
We have proven that together, we can tackle monumental challenges.
我們已證明,齊心合力,我們可以應對巨大的挑戰。
And the right to a healthy environment is gaining traction.
享有健康環境的權利越來越得到重視。
But we need to do much more. And much faster.
但是,我們還需要做得更多。速度也要大幅提高。
Especially to avert climate catastrophe.
特別是為了避免氣候災難。
We must limit global temperature rise to 1.5 degrees.
我們必須將全球溫度上升限制在1.5度。
We are far off track.
我們已遠遠偏離了軌道。
To keep 1.5 alive, governments must have cut emissions by 45 per cent by 2030, and achieve carbon neutrality by 2050.
為了保持1.5度,各國政府必須在2030年前減少45%的排放,并在2050年前實現碳中和。
Main emitters must drastically cut emissions starting this year.
主要排放國必須從今年起大幅減少排放。
And this means accelerating the end of our fossil fuel addiction.
這意味著加快結束我們對化石燃料的依賴。
And speeding the deployment of clean renewable energy.
并加快部署清潔可再生能源。
At the same time, we must invest rapidly in adaptation and resilience, particularly for the poorest and most vulnerable who have contributed least to the crisis.
與此同時,我們必須迅速投資于適應性和復原力,特別是最貧窮最脆弱的國家,它們本來對造成危機的貢獻度最小。
In June, the world will gather once again in Sweden for the Stockholm+50 meeting.
今年6月,世界將再次聚集在瑞典,召開斯德哥爾摩+50會議。
Let us make sure our leaders bring the ambition and action needed to address our triple planetary emergency.
讓我們確保我們的領導人帶來必要的雄心和行動,以解決地球的三重危機。
Because we have only one Mother Earth.
因為我們只有一個地球母親。
We must do everything we can to protect her.
我們必須盡一切努力保護她。