Reproduction resistance The reptiles win
爬行動物獲勝
Resistance was futile.The reptiles had won!
反抗是沒用的. 爬行動物已經贏了!
How they had been able to increase their rate of reproduction I would never know,
它們是如何提高繁殖 速度的,我不得而知,
But they had taken over my residence and I.
但它們已經占領了我的 住處并且控制住了 我這個人.
My resilience was gone.
我已經沒有了 復原的能力.
I handed in my resignation at my new job
我遞了辭呈, 要辭掉我的新工作,
And told them I was going back to the Midwest;desert life was not for me!
告訴他們我要回到 中西部去,沙漠生活 不適合我!
I hadn't always been so resigned to defeat.
過去我可不常這樣 向失敗低頭.
I had, in fact, resembled a true desert lover when I first arrived.
事實上,剛到的時候, 我還真像一個 熱愛沙漠的人.
But then I met my first rattlesnake, the reputed owner of the west,
但是后來,我生平第一 次遇到了享有盛譽的西 部主人 響尾蛇!
Right there in my residential area!
在這兒 就在我居住 的地方,
I had all the requisite fear and reservations about meeting this creature,
碰到這種動物我是要多 害怕有多害怕,并且始 終持著保留意見,
But the reality was more than terrifying.
而現實還更加恐怖,
Here was a creature that could send me to the hospital !
它可是會讓我 生病住院的!
It didn't matter that they would have an antidote.
他們可能有解毒藥 又有什么用呢?
I didn't want to have to be rescued!
我可不想弄到不得不 搶救的地步!
That's when I began to fear that the reptile might be in my nice new house!
從那時起我便開始擔心 我可愛的新家會出現 這種爬行動物!
They were and I became the resident of a war zone!
它們還真出現了,而我 成了交戰地帶的居民!
I dipped into my financial reserves and hired an exterminator.
我傾盡所有雇人 把我家的蛇清除掉.
He requested I live in a hotel for a week.
他要求我在酒店里 住一個星期,
But the snakes seemed to resent him and they multiplied!
但那些蛇好像對他不滿 因為它們開始迅速繁殖 起來!
Then I hired an Indian snake charmer. That failed as well.
后來我又雇了一名 印度耍蛇人, 效果還是不好.
After gaining a reputation in the neighborhood as desert hater
后來我名聲大作, 大家都叫我 恨沙漠的人 ,
I began to think I might not be able to meet the requirements needed to live here.
這時我開始認為我可能 達不到在這里 生活的要求.
I resisted the desire to leave for weeks,
我與離開的想法斗爭 了好幾個星期,
But when my reservoir of patience wore out I gave up.
等到我的耐心寶庫 終于枯竭,我只好 放棄了.
Now if I could just get used to those mosquitoes back home!
現在,如果我能習慣家 里的那些蚊子就好了!