You will hear a Communication Studies student talking to his tutor about optional courses for the next semester.
你將聽到一個傳播學的學生跟他的導師討論下個學期的選修課。
Come in. Oh hello Jack. Have a seat.
進來。哦,你好Jack。請坐。
Right...you said you wanted to see me to talk about your options next semester?
對了,你說過你想要跟我討論你下個學期的選修課。
That's right. We have to decide by the end of next week.
是的。我們下周末前得決定。
Really, I'd like to do all five options but we have to choose two, don't we?
真的,所有的五門選修課我都想上,但我們只能選兩個,是嗎?
Yes, but the choice depends on your major to some extent.
是的,但你的選擇一定程度上取決于你的專業。
You're majoring in Communication Studies, aren't you? That's right.
你是傳播學專業的,是嗎?是的。
So for example the Media Studies Option will cover quite a lot of the same area you did in the core module on mass communications this semester -
比如媒體研究課會講很多你在這個學期的主修課大眾傳播上學過的東西--
the development of the media through the last two centuries, in relation to political and social issues.
過去兩個世紀來媒體的發展,與政治和社會問題的關系。
Mmm. Well that was interesting, but I've decided I'd rather do something completely new.
嗯。那很有趣,但是我決定我要學一些全新的東西。
There's a Women's Studies option, isn't there?
有一個選修課是女性研究,是嗎?
Yes, 'Women and Power' - again it has a historical focus,
是的,"女性與權利"--同樣它有一個歷史焦點,
it aims to contextualise women's studies by looking at the legal and social situation in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries …
它致力于通過觀察19世紀和20世紀初的法制和社會局面來將女性研究文本化。
So it would be useful if I intended to specialise in women's studies...but I'm not sure I do actually.
所以如果我想專門研究女性文化的話會它會有用,但我不確定我想研究女性文化。
Well, it might still be useful to give you an idea of the issues involved. It's taught by Dr Steed.
好吧,可能告訴你涉及到的問題還有用。這門課是Steed博士上的。
Oh, really? I'll sign up for that, then. What about the option on Culture and Society?
哦,真的嗎?那么我就選那門課。文化和社會這門選修課是怎么樣的?
That addresses the historical debate on the place of culture since the Industrial Revolution in Britain.
那門課會提到自英國工業革命以來有關文化的歷史性辯論。
So a historical focus again...
又是一個歷史焦點......
Do I get the message you're not so keen on history?
你是對歷史不感興趣嗎?
Well, it's just we seem to have done quite a lot this semester … anyway I'll think about that one.
額,只是我們這個學期似乎已經學了很多了,總之我會考慮下那門課程的。
If you're interested in a course focusing on current issues there's the option on Identity and Popular Culture -
如果你對關注現代事件的課程感興趣的話,有一門課是個性與通俗文化--
that approaches the subject through things like contemporary film, adverts, soap operas and so on.
那門課會通過當代電影、廣告、肥皂劇等等來對主題進行探討。
Oh? That sounds interesting. Can you tell me who runs it?
哦?聽起來很有趣。你能告訴我是誰上的課嗎?
Well, it's normally Dr Stevens but he's on sabbatical next semester, so I'm not sure who'll be running it.
通常是Stevens博士,但是他下個學期公休,所以我不確定誰會上那門課。
It should be decided by next week though.
不過下個星期就會決定。
Right, well I might wait until then to decide...
好的,我或許可以等到那時再決定。
And the last option is Introduction to Cultural Theory, isn't it?
最后一個選擇是文化理論概論,是嗎?
I'm quite interested in that too -
我也對那個門課很有興趣--
I was talking to one of the second year students, and she said it was really useful, it made a lot of things fall into place.
我跟一個二年級學生聊過,她說那門可真的很實用,它使很多事情一目了然。
Yes, but in fact in your major, you'll have covered a lot of that already in Communications 102,
是的,但是其實在你的主修課里,你在傳播102里已經學習了很多,
so that might be less useful than some of the others.
所以那門課也許沒有其他的課程實用。
Oh, I'll forget about that one, then.
哦,那么我就不選那門課了。
Now while you're here, we could also discuss how you're getting on with your Core Module assignment...
既然你在這里,我們還能談論下你的核心模塊作業進行得怎么樣了......