You will hear an extract from a talk given to a group who are going to stay in the UK.
你將聽到一段演講的節選,該演講是給一些將要呆在英國的人準備的。
Good evening, and welcome to the British Council.
晚上好,歡迎來到英國文化委員會。
My name is John Parker and I've been asked to talk to you briefly about certain aspects of life in the UK before you actually go there.
我是John Parker,在你們去英國前,我被邀請來簡單地跟你們講講英國生活的方方面面。
So I'm going to talk first about the best ways of making social contacts there.
那么我首先要講的是在那里建立社會關系的最好方法。
Now you might be wondering why it should be necessary.
你或者會疑惑為什么要講這個。
After all, we meet people all the time.
畢竟,我們一直都在與人交往。
But when you're living in a foreign country it can be more difficult,
但是當你在外國生活的時候這會變得更困難一些,
not just because of the language, but because customs may be different.
不只是因為語言的不同,更是因為風俗會不一樣。
If you're going to work in the UK you will probably be living in private accommodation,
如果你是要去英國工作,你可能會獨自居住,
so it won't be quite so easy to meet people.
那么要與人交往就沒那么容易了。
But there are still things that you can do to help yourself.
但你仍然能做一些事情來彌補。
First of all, you can get involved in activities in your local community, join a group of some kind.
首先,你可以參與當地社區的活動,加入一些社團。
For example, you'll probably find that there are theatre groups who might be looking for actors, set designers and so on.
比如,你可能會發現有劇組在招募演員、舞臺設計等等。
Or if you play an instrument you could join music groups in your area.
如果你玩樂器的話,你可以加入你附近的音樂社團。
Or if you like the idea of finding out about local history there'll be a group for that too.
如果你想要探索當地歷史,也會有那樣的社團。
These are just examples. And the best places to get information about things like this are either the town hall or the public library.
這都是些例子。想要獲得信息最好的去處要么是市政廳,要么是公共圖書館。
Libraries in the UK perform quite a broad range of functions nowadays –
英國的圖書館現在功能很強大,
they're not just confined to lending books, although that's their main role of course.
它們不僅局限于借書,雖然借書是它們最主要的功能。