At Pedal Power, we collect second hand bikes in the UK and send them to some of the poorest regions in the world.
在“騎車出行”,我們收集英國的二手自行車并發送它們到世界上的一些最窮的地區。
When we distribute bikes overseas, we do not give them away for free.
當我們在海外分發自行車的時候,我們并不是免費贈送。
We 'd like to, but long term that does not really help the local economy.
我們喜歡這么做,但是從長遠上看,這并不能幫助本地的經濟。
The demand for bikes is enormous, which makes them very expensive locally
自行車的需求量非常大,這使它們在當地的價格很高。
So we sell them for 5% of the normal price.
所以我們以正常價格的5%賣給他們。
But in order to continue operating we need to have a constant supply of bikes which we send out every six months.
但是為了持續經營,我們需要有源源不斷的自行車供給,便于我們每6個月送出一次。
One example of a own that's received bicycles from Pedal Power is Rivas.
其中一個從“騎車出行”接收自行車的例子是里瓦斯。
It was the first place I sent a full container of bicycles to.
這是我第一個發送整箱的自行車的地方。
Most people there now own a bicycle.
那里的多數人現在都有了一輛自行車。
The local economy has developed so much, you would not recognise it as the same place.
當地經濟發展的很快,你肯定認不出來那里了。
In fact, there are more bikes than on the streets of Amsterdam, if you 've ever been there.
事實上,如果你去過那里,你會發現那里的自行車數量比阿姆斯特丹街上的還多。
But Pedal Power still needs your help.
但是“騎車出行”仍然需要你的幫助。
You may have read about some of our recent problems in the British media.
你可能從英國媒體上讀到過我們最近的問題。
In August 2000, we simply ran out of money.
在2000年8月,我們的錢用光了。
We had containers of bikes ready to send, but no money to pay the bills.
我們有幾個集裝箱的自行車準備送出,但是沒有錢付賬。
It was a terrible situation.
那是一個糟糕的狀況。
We managed to ensure the bikes went out on time, but the other problems carried on for several months.
我們設法確保這些自行車準時發出,但是其他問題持續了幾個月。