Well,you've both been looking at different styles of managing individuals in companies and the workplace.
你們都對公司和工作場所不同風格的個人管理進行了調查,
How's the research going,Philip?
飛利浦,你的調查進行的怎么樣?
Well,I've been looking at why individualism,I mean individual differences,are such an important area of management studies.
我關注于為何個人主義,也就是個體差異是管理研究的重要部分。
When you think about any organization,be it a family business or a multinational company, they are all fundamentally a group of people working together.
當你想到任何組織,家族企業或者跨國公司,它們都是一群人在一起工作。
But it's what these individuals contribute to their places of work that makes you realize how important they are.
但是這些個人對工作做出的貢獻使你認識到他們的重要性。
Of course they bring different ideas,but it's also their attitudes and their experiences of learning.
他們當然帶來了不同的觀點,但是還帶來了他們的態度和學習經驗。
Diversity is important in these areas too.
在這方面,多樣化也很重要。
So why do people behave so differently from one another at work?
那么為什么人們在工作中表現的各不一樣呢?
There are lots of reasons but research has shown a lot of it comes down to personality. And the other factor is gender.
有很多原因,但是調查顯示多數源于性格。另一個原因是性別。
It's a well known fact that men and women do lots of things in different ways, and the workplace is no different.
眾所周知,男人和女人的很多處事方式不同,而在工作場所也一樣。
Did you look at the effects of this variation on companies?
你注意到這些變化對公司的影響了嗎?
Yes,I did.On the positive side,exposure to such diversity helps encourage creativity which is generally an asset to a company.
是的。展現多樣性的優點是激發創造性,這對公司來說是一種財產。
But unfortunately individual differences are also the root of conflict between staff
但是不幸的是,個體差異也是員工沖突的根源,
and they can lead to difficulties for management,which can sometimes be serious.
這會導致管理上的困難,有時會產生嚴重問題。