Good morning everyone.In today's seminar,
大家早上好。在今天的講座中,
Grant Freeman,a biologist who specialises in identifying insects, and who works for the Australian Quarantine Service, has come to talk to us about his current
research work.
澳大利亞檢疫中心專門鑒定昆蟲的生物學家,格蘭特·弗里曼與我們講講他目前的調查工作。
Right,well,over to you,Grant.
好的,交給你了,格蘭特。
Good morning,everyone.I'm sure that you know that the quarantine service regulates all food brought into Australla.
大家早上好。想必你們知道檢疫中心管理所有引入澳大利亞的食物。
Well,obviously they want to protect Australia from diseases that might come in with imported goods,
顯然,他們要保護澳洲不受進口食物所帶來的疾病侵擾,
but they also want to prevent insect pests from being introduced into the country,and that's where I have a part to play.
但是他們也要防止害蟲被引入國內,而這就是我的工作。
Anyway,my current research involves trying to find a particular type of bee, the Asian Honey Bee,
總之,我目前的工作就是找到一種特殊的蜂,亞洲蜜蜂,
and finding out whether there are any of them around in various states of Australia.
看看它們是否存在于澳大利亞的各州。
We discovered a few of them in Queensland once and eradicated them.
我們發現昆士蘭有一些便把它們消滅了。
Now,we're pretty keen to make sure that there aren't any more getting in,particularly to New South Wales andother states.
現在,我們很想確定它們沒有更多的進入國內,特別是新南威爾士州和其他州。
What's wrong with Asian Honey Bees?
亞洲蜜蜂有什么問題嗎?
Are they so different from Australian bees?
它們和澳洲蜜蜂不同嗎?
Well,in fact,they look almost the same,but they are infested with mites - microscopic creatures which live on them,
事實上,它們看起來一樣,但是它們攜帶螨蟲,微生物寄居在它們身上,
and which can seriously damage our own home-grown bees,or could even wipe them out.
這會嚴重破壞我們本土的蜜蜂,或者甚至會將它們徹底消滅。