Good morning.Today I'd like to present the findings of our Year 2 project on wildlife found in gardens throughout our city.
早上好。今天我想就我們大二關于城市花園中發現的野生動物的項目發表調查結果。
I'll start by saying something about the background to the project,
我先介紹一下項目的背景,
then talk a little bit about our research techniques, and then indicate some of our interim findings.
然后介紹我們的研究方法,最后介紹一些我們臨時的調查結果。
First of all,how did we choose our topic?
首先,我們如何選擇主題?
Well,there are four of us in the group and one day while we were discussing a possible focus,
在小組里有我們4個人,一天當我們討論可選的主題時,
two of the group mentioned that they had seen yet more sparrow-hawks-one of Britain's most interesting birdsof prey
其中兩個人提到他們看到許多雀鷹,英國最有趣的猛禽之一
in their own city centre gardens and wondered why they were turning up in these gardens in great numbers.
在城市中心的花園里,大家好奇為什么它們會大量的出現在這些花園里。
We were all very engaged by the idea of why wild animals would choose to inhabit a city garden.
我們都迫切想知道為什么這些野生動物會選擇在一個城市花園棲息。
Why is it so popular with wildlife when the countryside itself is becoming less so?
為什么這里這么受野生動物的歡迎,而鄉村的吸引力卻變小了?
The first thing we did was to establish what proportion of the urban land is taken up by private gardens.
我們做的第一件事是調查有多少私人花園占據了城市用地。
We estimated that it was about one fifth,
我們估計大約是五分之一,
and this was endorsed by looking at large-scale usage maps in the town land survey office - 24% to be precise.
而這點通過查看城市土地測量局的大范圍地圖得以證實,確切的說是24%。
Our own informal discussions with neighbours and friends led us to believe
在與鄰居和朋友的閑談中,我們發現
that many garden owners had interesting experiences to relate regarding wild animal sightings
很多花園的主人在觀看野生動物方面有一些有趣的經歷,
so we decided to survey garden owners from different areas of the city.
所以我們決定調查城市不同地區的花園主人。
Just over 100 of them completed a survey once every two weeks for twelve months.
他們中只有100多人完成了調查,在一年中每兩周做一次。
ticking off species they had seen from a pro forma list - and adding the names of any rarer ones.
在列表上標出他們看到的物種,并加上稀有物種的名字。
Meanwhile, we were doing our own observations in selected gardens throughout the city.
同時,我們也在城市選定的花園里做一些自己的觀測。
We deliberately chose smaller ones because they were by far the most typical in the city.
我們特意選擇一些小型公園,因為它們是城市中最為典型的。
The whole point of the projuct was to look at the norm not the exception.
這個項目的重點是調查常規,而非例外。
Alongside this primary research on urban gardens,
在城市花園做這些初步測試的同時,
we were studying a lot of books about the decline of wild animals in the countryside and thinking of possible causes for this.
我們還研究許多關于鄉村野生動物減少的書籍,思考產生這種情況的原因。
So what did we find?
那么我們發現了什么?
Well,so much that I just won't have time to tell you about here.
我們發現了很多,但是我沒有時間在這里告訴你們。
If you're interested in reading our more comprehensive findings, we've produced detailed graphic representations on the college web-site
如果你想讀到更多全面的調查結果,
and of course any of the group would be happy to talk to you about them. Just email us.
我們的網站上有詳細的圖示,而且任何一組人都樂意為你介紹它們。發電郵給我們就行。
What we've decided to present today is information about just three species
今天我們打算介紹三種物種的信息,
because we felt these gave a good indication of the processes at work in rural and urban settings as a whole.
因為我們覺得這些很好地反映了在鄉村和城市的工作過程。