Hello, everyone. Today I'm going to talk about small talk--that is, short conversations people often have with strangers they meet,
大家好,今天我要說說閑聊,也就是人們經常和陌生人進行的簡短交談,
such exchanges occurring at bus stops, on buses, on a waiting line, almost anywhere that strangers gather close together.
這種交談發生在公共汽車站、公共汽車上、候車線處,幾乎任何陌生人聚集在一起的地方。
As a matter of fact, these short conversations are a good way for people to say hello and express friendliness.
事實上,這些簡短的對話是人們打招呼和表達友好的好方法。
Such conversations usually cover a wide range of topics.
這種談話通常涉及廣泛的話題。
The topics include weather, customer service, movies, TV shows, local sports or latest news.
包括天氣、客戶服務、電影、電視節目、當地體育賽事或最新新聞等話題。
But you should always keep it in your mind that private questions about salaries,
但你要時刻牢記,在交談中應避免談論關于薪水、
family life, religious beliefs and politics should be avoided during these conversations.
家庭生活、宗教信仰和政治等私人問題。
Besides, it's better to ask open-ended questions.
另外,最好詢問開放式的問題。
If you ask visitors "Do you like our city? "
如果你問游客“你喜歡我們的城市嗎?”
They may say simply "Yes ".
他們可能簡單地說“喜歡”。
On the other hand, if you ask, "What do you think of our city? "
但如果你問,“你覺得我們的城市怎么樣?”
They would have more freedom to answer it.
他們會有更多的自由回答這個問題。
This kind of question also shows that you're interested in them.
這種問題也表明你對他們感興趣。
If you appear interested in what people are saying, they feel more comfortable talking with you.
如果你對別人說的話感興趣,他們會覺得和你說話更自在。