A big dog celebrates a big birthday this year.
一只大狗在今年歡慶隆重的生日。
Clifford the Big Red Dog first appeared 50 years ago, along with Emily Elizabeth, the little girl who loves him.
這只叫克利福德的大紅狗和愛他的小女孩艾米麗·伊麗莎白,第一次出現在50年前。
Today we have Norman Brid Well, to talk with NPR's reporter of his dog's 50th birthday.
今天由諾曼·布里德·威爾,和美國國家公共廣播電臺的記者談論他那只大狗的50歲生日。
So, Norman tell us how it all started.
諾曼,告訴我們一下這一切是怎么開始的。
Well, it was 1962 and I was struggling, not very successful artist in New York.
嗯,那是在1962年,我當時是一個在紐約努力奮斗,但不很成功的藝術家。
My wife suggested that I try my hand in painting for children's books.
妻子建議我試著畫兒童讀物。
So I did ten paintings and took them to publishers.
所以我畫了十幅畫,帶到了出版社。
I was turned down everywhere, except one publisher, where a young woman told me I wasn't very good.
我在各個出版商處都遭拒,只有一家沒有這樣做,那兒的一位年輕女士告訴我,我畫得不太好。
So if I wanted to paint for a book, I needed to write one on my own.
如果我想為一本書畫插畫,我需要自己寫一本。
So you did?
于是你就這么做了?
Umm, the woman pointed to a painting I'd done, about a little girl with a big red dog.
嗯,那位女士指著我畫的一幅畫,那副畫是一個小女孩和一只大紅狗。
And she said "maybe that's the story".
她說“也許就是這個故事”。
And I went home.
然后,我回家了。
And over that weekend, I wrote the story Clifford the Big Red Dog,
在那個周末,我寫了一個《大紅狗克利福德》的故事,
and was shocked when it was accepted for publication because I'd never written anything before.
當出版社同意出版它時,我感到震驚,因為我以前從未寫過任何東西。
I see. How wonderful!
我明白了,多棒啊!
Yes, it was. My wife was also at shock when she did realize it wasn't a dream. But it was just luck.
是的,是很棒。我妻子意識到這不是夢時,她也很震驚,但那只是好運氣。
And that luck turned into 90 Clifford books that have sold 126 million copies in 13 languages.
這份好運氣轉變為克利福德的90本圖畫書,它已經被翻譯成13種語言,售出1.26億冊。