So what other things do you do in your country that are different from other countries, Waled?
還有什么其他的事情你們國家做的和別的國家不一樣嗎,瓦利德?
Well, you know in many countries people point with their first finger.
嗯,要知道在很多國家,人們都是伸出食指來指東西的。
However, in Brunei that can cause offence, so we use our thumb to point.
在文萊,這會造成冒犯,所以我們都用大拇指來指東西。
It's quite funny watching the new foreign teachers trying to adjust to doing that.
看著新來的外國老師努力適應這一點真是很有趣。
Another thing is, if you came to Brunei, you would have to take off your shoes before going into someone's house.
另一件事就是如果你到了文萊,在進去別人的屋子前要脫下鞋子。
Many foreigners have trouble getting accustomed to it.
許多外國人都很難適應這一點。
But what is really interesting is that there are sometimes great cultural differences even between native English speakers.
但真正有趣的是,有時候在以英語為母語的人之間還有很大的文化差別。
I am always amazed at how Americans are so different from us Brits.
我經常感到奇怪為什么美國人和我們英國人那么不同。
Even though we share the same language—with different accents, of course—our customs are not always alike.
即使我們擁有同樣的語言—不同的口音,當然,我們的文化習俗也不總是一樣的。
Really?
真的嗎?
Yes, for example, I have fond childhood memories of Bonfire Night, but my American friends are not familiar with that particular festival
是的,比如,我有關于篝火夜晚的美好的童年記憶,但我的美國朋友并不熟悉這個特別的節日。
Well, I'm not familiar with it either.
嗯,我也不熟悉。
Oh, it's a celebration that takes place on November 5th every year.
噢,這是場在每年11月5日舉行的慶典。
People light large fires outside, and everyone gathers around and has a party.
人們在室外燃起火焰,每個人都聚在一起舉行晚會。
There are plenty of fireworks, and everyone eats hot dogs and other food that can be cooked over the fire. It's great fun.
那時會燃放許多煙花,每個人都吃熱狗和其他可以在火上烤的食物。十分有趣。
Well, it's time for me to go.
好了,時間到了我該走了。
This has been a really interesting chat.
這真是個有趣的談話。
I think now I understand a lot more about different cultures and what is appropriate behaviour.
我想我現在了解了更多文化差異和哪些是適當的行為了。
It's really helped me with my homework!
這真的為我的作業幫了很大的忙!
I hope we can talk again soon.
我希望我們可以很快再次聊天。
After all, learning about cultural differences is a good way to understand more about each other.
總之,學習文化差異是能夠更深入了解彼此的好方法。
See you later!
再見!
See you!
再見!
Right, later!
好的,再見!