The Time Machine
時間機器
by H.G. Wells
赫伯特·喬治·威爾斯
Here is my Time Machine.
這是我的時間機器。
This is where you sit, and with these two white handles, you can travel into the future or the past.
你可以坐在里面,拉動兩只白色的拉桿,你就可以去未來或過去旅行。
I finished the machine just last week, and decided to use it to see the future.
我上周才把機器制造出來,我決定用它去看看未來。
As I pulled one handle, the world around me became foggy.
當我拉動一只拉桿時,我周圍的景象變得霧蒙蒙的。
Days and nights zipped by and everything changed before my eyes.
白天、黑夜飛速交替,一切都在眼前變換。
Buildings and cities appeared and disappeared in a flash.
大廈、城市都是瞬間閃現或消失。
Finally, I heard a loud thunder, and everything stopped.
最后,我聽到了一聲響雷,所有的事物也都停了下來。
There was a city in front of me that appeared very old and worn.
我眼前是一座破舊、荒蕪的城市。
I was now in the year AD 802,701, and mankind had evolved into two races, the Eloi and the Morlocks.
我現在在公元802701年,人類已經進化為兩個種族,愛洛伊人和摩洛克人。
The Eloi were small and like children.
愛洛伊人小小的個頭,貌似孩童。
They lived above the ground and spent all of their time at play.
他們住在地面上,一生的時間都是在玩樂。
Unlike the Elio, the Morlocks looked like white beasts.
和愛洛伊人不同,摩洛克人看起似白色的怪獸。
They lived underground, where they kept machines running so that the Elio would be happy and well fed.
他們住在地下,在那里他們一直運轉著機器,這樣愛洛伊人才可能快樂,被喂養得好。