Henry brought news of my family.
亨利帶來了我家人的消息。
They were well and had taken in a servant called Justine.
他們都很好,而且雇傭了一個女傭,叫賈斯汀。
Imagine my shock when a letter arrived from my father -
但你想不到接下來我父親的來信帶來讓我多吃驚的消息:
my young brother William had been murdered!
我的弟弟威廉被殺害了!
I went to my parents' house.
我趕回我父母的家。
Just before I got there, I saw the monster running through the trees.
到那之前,我正好撞見看見我的怪物穿過樹林。
I realised the monster I had created had killed my brother!
我意識到是我創造的怪物殺了我的弟弟。
When I got to the house, I was horrified to discover that Justine,
當我回到父母家時,我恐懼地聽說賈斯汀
who had been found near the scene of the crime, was accused of the murder.
被發現當時正在謀殺現場,被指控謀殺,
I knew she was innocent, but could say nothing. She was hanged.
我知道她是無罪的,但我什么都說不出來。她被絞死了。
Soon afterwards, while I was spending some time alone in the mountains, I met my evil creation again.
沒過多久,當我獨自登山時,我又看見了我邪惡的創造物。
The monster begged me to listen to his story.
我的怪物求我聽聽他的遭遇。
This is what he said:
這是他所說的:
'When I left your house, I came across a cottage
“當我離開你家時,我來到一個小村
and lived secretly in the barn watching an old, blind man and his children.
并悄悄地藏在一個谷倉里。附近住的是一個帶著幾個孩子的盲老人。
I learned how to speak and I realised how miserable I was.
我學會了說話并且意識到了我長得有多可怕。
I had no family, no memories, no childhood.
我沒有家庭,沒有記憶,沒有童年。
One day, I decided to speak to the old man.
一天,我打算向老人開口。
He was kind and couldn't see my ugly body.
他是個好人并且看不到我長得有多丑陋。