Literature Spot 3
文學作品3
Franken Stein
《弗蘭肯斯坦》
By Mary Shelley
瑪麗·雪萊著
My name is Captain Walton.
我是艦長華爾頓。
My ship was exploring the Arctic when we found a man on a piece of floating ice.
我的船只在考查北極時,發現一個男人躺在一塊浮冰上。
He was called Victor Frankenstein.
他叫維克多·弗蘭肯斯坦。
One night, he told me a strange tale.
當晚,他跟我講了一個奇怪的故事。
'My dear captain, how shall I begin? I grew up near Geneva. I was a happy child.
“我的好艦長,我該從哪開始說呢?我在日內瓦附近長大,我有個快樂的童年。
My parents had two other sons, Ernest and William, and they took in an orphan, Elizabeth.
我的父母除了我還有兩個兒子,歐內斯特和威廉,他們還收養了一個孤兒,伊麗莎白。
When I was seventeen, I went to the University of Ingolstadt.
當我17歲的時候,我去了因戈爾施塔特的大學。
A professor there inspired me to study chemistry.
一個教授鼓勵我去學化學。
This changed my life as I became obsessed with the search for the secret of life.
當我被創造生命的秘術迷住的時候,它改變了我的一生。
I worked day and night for two years and, finally, I found the secret.
我沒日沒夜地工作了2年之后,我終于發現了這秘術。
To test my discovery, I decided to create a new life in the laboratory.
為了試驗我的發現,我決定在實驗室里創造一個生命。
I collected parts of bodies and, after two years, I was ready to bring my creature to life.
我收集軀體的碎片,2年之后,我可以給予我的創造物生命了。
But when I saw the monster I had created, I felt horror and disgust.
但是我看著我創造出的怪物,我感到恐懼和厭惡。
How can I describe the monster?
我怎么形容這怪物呢?
You could see the muscles under his thin, yellow skin.
你透過他薄薄的黃色皮膚可以看到他的塊塊肌肉。
His hair was long and black, his teeth were pearly white,
他的頭發長長的,黑黑的,他的牙齒倒是珍珠白的,
but his eyes were watery and his lips black.
但他的眼睛是淡色的,嘴唇是黑的。
When my friend Henry Clerval arrived,
我的朋友亨利來到時,
I said nothing about the monster, which by now had left my house.
我對我那已經逃跑很久的怪物只字未提。