My Student
我的學生
Brian Jenkins, science teacher at Overton School.
布賴恩·詹金斯,歐威頓學校的科學老師。
Before Graham came into my class, he was very difficult.
格雷厄姆來上我的課之前很難管教。
I had heard stories about his bad behaviour.
我聽過他的那些壞行為。
Once I caught him and a friend seeing who could spit the furthest off the school stage!
有一次我抓到他和一個朋友在學校的舞臺上比誰的唾液吐得最遠。
But when he got interested, he changed.
但是當他感興趣之后,他就改變了。
The first day he walked into my class,
他走進我課堂的第一天,
he was dragging his school bag behind him and looking bored,
書包拖在身后,看樣子很無聊;
but as soon as I set up an experiment to show how the human stomach works using acid and an onion,
但是當我用酸和一個洋蔥做實驗,演示人的胃是如何運作時,
he gave me his full attention.
他馬上就全神貫注了。
He loved science!
他喜歡科學!
He was very bright and should have done much better in all his other subjects.
他非常聰明,而且本應該所有的科目都能學得比當時要好得多。
I've read a couple of his books and seen him on TV.
我讀過他的幾本書,在電視上看到過他。
I always say to my wife, "Oh look, I used to teach him!"
我總是對我妻子說,“哦,看看,我以前教過他!”
I wish I was as successful with all my students as I was with Graham.
我希望我教的所有學生都能像教格雷厄姆那樣成功。
It's difficult teaching nowadays.
現在教書很難。
There are lots of problems and not enough money.
問題有很多,資金也不夠。
The government should have put more money towards science education.
政府應該在科學教育方面投入更多的資金。
And I wish they would decrease the size of classes
我也希望他們能減少班級的規模,
- it's not easy doing lessons in laboratories with big groups
—在實驗室里帶著一大群學生上課不容易,
and it must be even worse in the poorer schools!
要是在更窮的學校里情況一定會更糟糕。
At least with schools like ours, we have laboratories!
至少要有像我們這樣的學校,我們有實驗室。
My wife often wishes that I had chosen a job with less stress but I love what I do.
我妻子常常希望我選一份壓力小點的工作,但是我喜歡我現在做的工作。
The thing about being a teacher
作為一名老師,
is that you have access to children's minds when they are open and eager to learn.
你能在孩子們敞開心扉渴望學習的時候走進他們的心里。
And if what I do as a teacher can help turn a child like Graham into such a successful adult,
而且,如果我作為老師所作的事情能夠幫助像格雷厄姆這樣的孩子變成成功人士的話,
then I know what I'm doing is worthwhile.
那我知道我所做的事情是值得的。