Lesson 3 Living Abroad
第3課 在國外生活
When I first arrived in San Francisco,
我剛到舊金山時,
I had a difficult time understanding certain aspects of the American way of doing things.
有段時間我覺得很難理解美國人的某些處事方式。
Once I went to visit an American friend.
一次,我去拜訪一位美國朋友。
After a splendid evening, I finished my cocoa and got ready to leave.
過了美好的一個夜晚后,我喝完可樂,準備離開。
As soon as we said goodbye, my friend went back to his room closing the door behind him.
但是我們剛互致再見,這位朋友轉身就關上了門。
It made me feel that I was not really welcome.
這使我感到自己不是很受歡迎。
Jin Li
金力
I've always been outgoing
我是一個外向的人,
but since an embarrassing experience in a New York restaurant I've been much more cautious.
但是自從在紐約的一家飯店有過一次尷尬的經歷后,我比較小心了。
I was enjoying my dessert and talking to my American friend Janice at the table
我和我的美國朋友詹妮斯正在餐桌前邊吃甜點邊聊天,
when I noticed people staring at us.
突然發現人們在注視著我們。
I asked Janice what was wrong and she told me that I was talking too loudly.
我問詹妮斯出什么事了,她說是因為我說話聲音太大了。
She said that to some American people, it sounded like I was shouting.
她告訴我,在某些美國人看來,我說話的聲音聽起來就像在喊叫。
I whispered for the rest of the evening.
那天晚上后來的時間,我一直在小聲說話。
Wang Lei
王磊
What did I learn about Chinese customs from my exciting exchange to China?
我從令人興奮的中國文化交流學到了什么?
Well, the Chinese are extremely welcoming.
嗯,中國人特別好客。
One evening, I was invited to a Chinese family dinner.
有一天晚上,我被邀情參加一個中國家庭的晚餐。
I had a good appetite and the food was yummy.
我胃口很好,吃了很多可口的食物。
But my host kept on putting more food in my rice bowl.
但是吃飽后主人還是不停地往我碗里夾菜。
They didn't seem to hear me saying "No, thank you" in my poor spoken Chinese.
好像根本沒聽見我用蹩腳的中文說“不用了,謝謝。”
This was a very special experience I had in China.
這是我在中國的一次特殊經歷。
In my culture, you don't get more food if you don't ask for more.
在我們國家,如果你不想再要的話,沒人會給你再加飯菜。
Martin
馬丁