And a word of advice.
一點建議。
To avoid getting confused about the British tipping system,
為了避免對英國小費制度的困惑,
you need to check your bill to see if a tip is included or not.
您要查看帳單上是不是包括小費。
If it isn't, I suggest leaving 10% of the bill for the waiter or waitress
如果不包括,我建議您給服務生或服務小姐留10%
- even a bit more if the service is good.
-甚至可以再多一點兒,如果您認為他們服務得好。
Talking of money - it's really easy to exchange traveller's cheques at banks or hotels
談到錢,在銀行或飯店兌換旅行支票非常容易,
so I advise you to get some of those before you come.
所以我建議您來之前準備一些支票。
I think we should consider staying in the English countryside for a few nights as I know you enjoy hiking.
我知道您喜歡遠足,我想我們應該在英國的鄉村住幾天。
We can wander through the fields and even pick a few mushrooms to have with our breakfast!
我們可以在田野中漫步,甚至可以采些蘑菇和早飯一起吃!
I have learnt which ones are tasty and safe to eat so we won't risk getting sick!
我學會了識別那些蘑菇好吃又安全,所以我們不會冒生病的危險!
And don't forget a warm coat!
別忘記帶保暖外衣!
It can get pretty cold and foggy in this country.
英國會很冷的,而且多霧。
One last thing, I didn't understand British humour at all when I first got here.
最后,我剛到時一點兒都不懂英式幽默。
The British find the strangest things funny!
英國人認為最奇怪的事情好笑!
We're certainly more used to Chinese humour
我們比較習慣中國式的幽默,
so don't be surprised if you hear laughter when you don't think anything's funny.
所以您覺得沒什么好笑時聽到笑聲,不要感到吃驚。
They're not laughing at you!
他們不是在笑您!
But even though some British people are quite strange,
雖然有些英國人有點兒奇怪,
the majority of them are really friendly and I've made some good friends.
但是大多數人都很友好,而且我已結交了一些好朋友。
Anyhow, I'd better get back to work.
好了,我得回去工作了。
I am so looking forward to your visit, Aunt Mei!
梅姨,我期待著您的來訪
Love Xiaojin.
愛您的小金