Unit 12 Culture Shock
第12單元 文化沖擊
Lesson 1 Visiting Britain
第1課 游覽英國
Dear Aunt Mei,
親愛的梅姨,
I can't believe I've been in London for 6 months already!
真不敢相信我已在倫敦呆了6個月了!
I certainly owe you an apology for not writing more often.
沒有多給您寫信非常抱歉。
I've just been so busy studying and trying to absorb all the new things around me
我一直忙于學習,了解身邊的新事物
- I think I'm still experiencing culture shock.
—我覺得自己還在經歷文化沖擊。
There is so much here that is different from home.
這兒很多事情和國內不一樣。
But you'll soon experience it all yourself!
不久您就會親身體驗了!
I wish your visit wasn't going to be so brief but there's a lot we can do and see in a week.
我真希望您的來訪時間不會這么短,但是一周內我們也有很多事情可以做,有很多地方可以參觀。
I'm just so glad you can afford to visit me
您能抽時間來看我,我真是太高興了。
and I refuse to let you pay for anything while you're here!
您在這兒期間我不會讓您花錢的!
I don't know what your expectations are of London,
我不知道您對倫敦有什么期望,
but knowing that you've never travelled outside of Asia,
但是我知道您從來沒有到亞洲以外的地方旅行,
I thought I'd tell you a bit about what you can expect to find.
所以我想告訴您一些這里的情況。
First of all, the food.
首先是食物。
When I first got here, I was amazed to find that London is such an international city.
我剛到時對于倫敦這樣一個國際化的城市感到吃驚。
There are people from all over the world living here
這里的人來自世界各地,
and as a result, there are many international restaurants.
因此有許多各個國家的餐館。
Do you know that almost every town in Britain has at least one Chinese restaurant?
您知道嗎?在英國幾乎每個鎮子都有一家中國餐館。
But British people hardly ever eat Chinese food for breakfast.
但是英國人早飯不吃中餐。
You're going to have to get used to bacon and eggs with a few slices of toast for breakfast over here, Aunt Mei!
所以,梅姨,您得適應這里腌肉、雞蛋加幾片烤面包的早飯。