Unit 4
第四單元
Body Language
有關身體語言
Reading
閱讀
Communication: NO Problem?
交際:沒有問題了嗎?
Yesterday, another student and I, representing our university's student association,
昨天,我和另一個同學代表我們大學的學生會
went to the Capital International Airport to meet this year's international students.
去首都國際機場迎接今年的留學生。
They were coming to study at Beijing University.
他們要來北京大學學習。
We would take them first to their dormitories and then to the student canteen.
我們首先會把他們帶到宿舍,然后去學生食堂。
After half an hour of waiting for their flight to arrive,
在等了半個小時之后,他們的航班到了,
I saw several young people enter the waiting area looking around curiously.
我看見幾個年輕人走進了等候區,好奇地向四周張望。
I stood for a minute watching them and then went to greet them.
站著觀察了他們有一分鐘后,我便走過去打招呼。
The first person to arrive was Tony Garcia from Colombia, closely followed by Julia Smith from Britain.
第一個到達的是從哥倫比亞飛來的托尼·加西亞,隨后緊跟著的是英國的朱莉婭·史密斯。
After I met them and then introduced them to each other,
在與他們碰面并介紹他們彼此認識之后,
I was very surprised.
我(對看到的情景)感到很吃驚。
Tony approached Julia, touched her shoulder and kissed her on the cheek!
托尼走近朱莉婭,摸了摸她的肩,并親了她的臉!
She stepped back appearing surprised and put up her hands, as if in defence.
她后退幾步,看上去有些吃驚,并舉起了手,好像是在自衛。
I guessed that there was probably a major misunderstanding.
我猜想這里可能有個大誤會。
Then Akira Nagata from Japan came in smiling, together with George Cook from Canada.
隨后,來自日本的永田明微笑著走了進來,同時進來的還有加拿大的喬治·庫克。
As they were introduced, George reached his hand out to the Japanese student.
當我為他們作介紹時,喬治把手伸向了這位日本學生。
Just at that moment, however, Akira bowed so his nose touched George's moving hand.
然而此時永田正在鞠躬,他的鼻子碰到了喬治伸過來的手。
They both apologized - another cultural mistake!
兩人都互相道歉——這又是一個文化差異!
Ahmed Aziz, another international student, was from Jordan.
另一位國際學生艾哈邁德·阿齊茲是約旦人。
When we met yesterday, he moved very close to me as I introduced myself.
昨天當我們見面我向他們作自我介紹時,他靠我很近。
I moved back a bit, but he came closer to ask a question and then shook my hand.
我往后退了一點兒,他又向前問了我一個問題,然后同我握手。