And it was the ship that brought you to England.
正是那艘船把你帶到了英國。
Yes. The fact is that I earned my passage by working as an unpaid hand, which accounts for my appearance.
是的。事實上我靠做義工來頂替船費。這就是我為什么衣冠不整的原因了。
I went to the American embassy to seek help, but...(The brothers smile at each other. )
我上美國大使館求助,但是……(兄弟倆相顧而笑)。
Well, you mustn't worry about that.
嗯,這一點你倒不必擔心。
It's an advantage.
這還是優點呢。
I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, sir.
對不起,先生,你的話我沒有聽懂。
Tell us, Mr Adams, what sort of work did you do in America?
亞當斯先生,請你告訴我們,你在美國干哪個行當?
I worked for a mining company.
我在一家礦業公司工作。
Could you offer me some kind of work here?
你們能不能給我提供一份工作呢?
Patience, Mr Adams.
耐心點兒,亞當斯先生。
If you don't mind, may I ask you how much money you have?
如果你不介意,我能不能問問,你手頭兒有多少錢?
Well, to be honest, I have none.
嗯,老實說,我一分錢都沒有了。
(happily) What luck! Brother, what luck! (claps his hands together)
(高興地)老兄,真走運!真有運氣!(鼓起掌來)
Well, it may seem lucky to you but not to me!
嗯,這對你們來說可能是運氣,但對我來說可不是。
On the contrary, in fact. If this is your idea of some kind of joke, I don't think it's very funny.
事實上,正好相反。如果你們認為這是一個笑話,我可不覺得很好笑。
(Henry stands up to leave) Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll be on my way.
(亨利起身準備走)好了,請原諒,我想我該上路了。
Please don't go, Mr Adams~
亞當斯先生,請別走。
You mustn't think we don't care about you.
你千萬不要以為我們不在意你的感受。
Oliver, give him the letter.
奧利弗,把信給他。
Yes, the letter. (gets it from a desk and gives it to Henry like a gift) The letter.
是,那封信。(從桌上把信拿起來,像送禮品一樣遞給亨利)給你信。
(taking it carefully) For me?
(小心翼翼地接過信)是給我嗎?
For you.
是給你的。(亨利要拆信)。
(Henry starts to open it) Oh, no, you mustn't open it.
啊,別拆,你不要拆,。
Not yet. You can't open it until two o'clock.
現在不是時候,到兩點鐘你才能打開。
Oh, this is silly.
噢,這真可笑。
Not silly. There's money in it.
這不可笑,這里邊有錢呢。
(calls to the servant) James?
(叫仆人)詹姆斯?
Oh, no. I don't want your charity. I just want an honest job.
噢,不,我不需要你們的施舍,我只要一份老老實實的工作。
We know you're hard-working.
我們知道你工作是很賣力的。
That's why we've given you the letter.
這正是我們給你這封信的原因。
James, show Mr Adams out.
詹姆斯,請送亞當斯先生出去。
Good luck, Mr Adams.
祝你好運,亞當斯先生。
Well, why don't you explain what this is all about?
嗯,怎么不給我講講,這究竟是什么回事呢?
You'll soon know. (looks at the clock) In exactly an hour and a half.
你很快就會明白的,(看看鐘)一個半小時以后。
This way, sir.
請這邊走,先生。
Mr Adams, not until 2 o'clock. Promise?
亞當斯先生,兩點鐘以前不要拆信,答應嗎?
Promise. Goodbye.
答應,謝謝。再見。