Reading
閱讀
The MillionPound BankNote
百萬英鎊
Act I, Scene 3
第一幕,第3場
It is the summer of 1903.
1903年的夏天。
Two old and wealthy brothers, Roderick and Oliver, have made a bet.
一對年老又富有的兄弟,羅德里克和奧利弗,打了一個賭。
Oliver believes that with a million pound bank note a man could survive a month in London.
奧利弗認為,一個人靠一張百萬英鎊的鈔票在倫敦能活一個月。
His brother Roderick doubts it.
他的兄弟羅德里克對此表示懷疑。
At this moment, they see a penniless young man wandering on the pavement outside their house.
這時,他們看見一個身無分文的年輕人在房子外面的人行道上游蕩。
It is Henry Adams, an American businessman, who is lost in London and does not know what he should do.
他叫亨利·亞當斯,一個美國商人,在倫敦迷了路,不知道該怎么辦。
Young man, would you step inside a moment, please?
年輕人,請進來一會兒,好嗎?
Who? Me, sir?
先生,你叫誰來呀?是叫我嗎?
Yes, you.
是的,就是你。
Through the front door on your left.
從你左側的前門進來。
(A servant opens a door) Thanks.
(仆人給他打開門)謝謝。
Good morning, sir. Would you please come in?
早上好,先生,請進。
Permit me to lead the way, sir.
先生,請讓我來帶路吧。
(Henry enters) Thank you, James.
(亨利走進來)謝謝你,詹姆斯。
That will be all.
沒你的事了。
How do you do, Mr. ..er...?
你好,先生,你貴姓?
Adams. Henry Adams.
亞當斯,亨利·亞當斯。
Come and sit down, Mr Adams.
來,請坐,亞當斯先生。
Thank you.
謝謝。
You're an American?
你是美國人?
That's right, from San Francisco.
是的,從舊金山來。
How well do you know London?
你對倫敦熟悉嗎?
Not at all, it's my first trip here.
一點兒也不熟,這是我第一次來倫敦。
I wonder, Mr Adams, if you'd mind us asking a few questions.
亞當斯先生,不知你是否介意我們問幾個問題?
Not at all. Go right ahead.
不介意,請問吧。
May we ask what you're doing in this country and what your plans are?
可不可以問問,你在這個國家干點兒什么?你的計劃又是什么呢?
Well, I can't say that I have any plans.
嗯,談不上有什么計劃。
I'm hoping to find work.
我希望能找到工作。
As a matter of fact, I landed in Britain by accident.
事實上,我在英國上岸是偶然的。
How is that possible?
這怎么可能呢?
Well, you see, back home I had my own boat.
嗯,你看,在美國的時候,我有我自己的船。
About a month ago, I was sailing out of the bay...(his eyes stare at what is left of the brother's dinner on table)
大約一個月前,我開船駛出海灣……(他的眼睛盯著兄弟倆留在餐桌上的殘羹剩菜上)。
Well, go on.
往下說呀。
Oh, yes. Well, towards nightfall I found myself carried out to sea by a strong wind.
哦,好的。嗯,傍晚時分我發現我被一陣大風刮到海上去了。
It was all my fault.
這都是我的錯。
I didn't know whether I could survive until morning.
我不知道是否能活到早晨。
The next morning I'd just about given myself up for lost when I was spotted by a ship.
第二天早上,我正感到絕望的時候,一艘海船發現了我。