As the time for my parents' 50th anniversary came, my brothers and I met to plan the party.
隨著父母結婚50周年紀念日的到來,我的兄弟們和我碰面計劃舉辦這次聚會。
My older brother said, "Do you remember that night you wouldn't dance with him?
我哥哥說:“還記得你拒絕和他跳舞的那個晚上嗎?”
Boy, was he mad! I couldn't believe he'd get so mad about a thing like that.
天哪,他特別生氣!我真不敢相信他會為那件事那么生氣。
I'll bet you haven't danced with him since." I did not tell him he was right.
我敢肯定從那以后,你沒和他跳過舞吧。”我沒有告訴他他猜對了。
My younger brother promised to get the band.
我弟弟保證去找樂隊。
"Make sure they can play waltzes and polkas, " I told him.
“一定要找會演奏華爾茲和波爾卡舞曲的,”我告訴他。
"Dad can dance to anything, " he said.
“爸爸什么都能跳,”他說。
I did not tell him that all I wanted to do was dance once more with my father.
我沒有告訴他我只是想和父親再跳一次舞。
When the band began to play after dinner, my parents took the floor.
晚飯后,當樂隊開始演奏時,我的父母走上了舞池。
They danced around the room, inviting the others to join them.
他們在房間里跳舞,邀請其他人加入他們。
The guests rose to their feet, clapping for the golden couple.
客人們都站起來,為這對金婚夫婦鼓掌。
My father danced with his granddaughters, and then the band began to play the "Beer Barrel Polka. "
我父親和他的孫女們跳舞,然后樂隊開始演奏“啤酒桶波爾卡”。
"Roll out the barrel," I heard my father sing. Then I knew it was time.
“滾過來,酒桶,”我聽見父親在唱。于是我知道是時候了。
I knew the words I must say to my father before he would dance with me once more.
我知道在父親再次和我跳舞之前我必須對他說些什么。
I moved my way through a few couples and tapped my daughter on the shoulder.
我穿過人群,拍了拍女兒的肩膀。
"Excuse me, " I said, almost choking on my words.
“不好意思”,我說,幾乎說不出話來。
"But I believe this is my dance." My father stood rooted to the spot.
“不過我想這首舞蹈是屬于我的。”父親呆了一樣站在那里。
Our eyes met and traveled back to that night when I was 15.
我們都注視著對方,思緒飛回到我十五歲的那個夜晚。
In a trembling voice, I sang, "Let's get those blues on the run. "
我用顫抖的聲音唱道:“我們來歡樂無窮吧”
My father bowed and said, "Oh, yes. I've been waiting for you. "
父親鞠了個躬,說道“哦,沒錯,我一直在等你。”
Then he started to laugh, and we moved into each other's arms, pausing for a moment so we could catch once more the rhythm of the dance.
說完,他大笑起來。我們挽著彼此的胳膊,停了一下,以便再次跟上舞曲的節奏。