A dance with Dad
與父親共舞
I am dancing with my father at my parents' 50th wedding anniversary celebration.
在父母結婚50周年慶典上,我和父親共舞。
The band is playing an old-fashioned waltz as we move gracefully across the floor.
樂隊演奏著老式的華爾茲舞曲,我們在地板上優雅地移動著。
His hand on my waist is as guiding as it always was, and he hums the tune to himself in a steady, youthful way.
他的手環著我的腰,像以往一樣引導著我,同時,他勻速而又充滿活力地哼著調子。
Around and around we go, laughing and nodding to the other dancers.
我們跳了一圈又一圈,不時地向其他舞者笑著點頭致意。
We are the best dancers on the floor, they tell us.
他們告訴我們,我們是最好的舞者。
My father squeezes my hand and smiles at me.
父親握緊我的手,朝我微笑著。
As we continue to dip and sway, I remember a time when I was almost four,
我們繼續著舞步,這是我想我在我四歲那年,
and my father came home from work, swooped me into his arms and began to dance me around the table.
父親下班回到家,一把將我摟在懷里,圍著桌子開始跳舞。
My mother laughed at us, told us dinner would get cold.
媽媽笑著跟我們說,晚飯要涼了。
But my father said, "She's just caught the rhythm of the dance! Dinner can wait."
但父親說“她剛跟上舞蹈節奏,晚飯等會兒再吃吧”
And then he sang out, "Roll out the barrel, we'll have a barrel of fun, "
然后他唱著“滾過來,酒桶,啤酒在桶里翻動”
and I sang back, "We've got the blues on the run. "
然后我接著“洋溢著歡樂無窮”
That night he taught me polka and waltz while dinner waited.
那天晚上,晚飯被晾在一邊的時候,他教會了我波爾卡和華爾茲舞曲。
We danced through the years.
那些年來我們經常一起跳舞。
When I was five, my father taught me "Shuffle Off to Buffalo. "
我五歲的時候,父親教我“舞到布法羅”。
Later we won a dance contest at a Camp Fire Girls.
后來我們在一個少女露營團的舞蹈比賽中獲勝。
Then we learned jitterbug at the USO.
然后我們在勞軍聯合組織學習了吉特巴舞。
Once my father caught on to the steps, he danced with everyone in the hall.
我父親一跟上舞步,就會和大廳里的每個人跳舞。
We all laughed and clapped for my father, the real dancer.
我們都開懷大笑,為我父親鼓掌,他才是真正的舞者。
One night when I was 15, lost in some painful, adolescent mood, my father put on a stack of records and teased me to dance with him.
我十五歲那年的一個晚上,由于青春期的多愁善感,我非常悲傷。父親拿出一摞唱片,非要我跟他跳舞。
"C'mon," he said. "Let's get those blues on the run. "
“快來”他說。“我們來歡樂無窮啊”
I turned away from him, and hugged my pain closer than before.
我轉過身,陷入了更深的痛苦中。
My father put his hand on my shoulder, and I jumped out of the chair screaming
父親把雙手放在我肩上,我跳下了椅子,大叫道
"Don't touch me! Don't touch me! I am sick and tired of dancing with you!"
“別碰我,別碰我!我受夠了跟你跳舞!”
The hurt on his face did not escape me, but the words were out, and I could not call them back.
我看到了他臉上受傷的表情,但話已出口,我無法收回。
I ran to my room sobbing hysterically.
我跑回房間,歇斯底里地哭了起來。