Miss America, I presume.
是“美國小姐”駕臨了吧。
Miss McCutcheon.
我姓麥卡琴。
Harry Van Dusen.
我是哈里·范杜森。
How do you do?
你好!
Miss McCutcheon.
麥卡琴小姐,你好。
I'm new here.
我是新搬來這里的。
You'd be new anywhere. Surely you don't live here.
你到哪里都會是新的。你肯定不住在這兒吧。
As a matter of fact, I do. At any rate, I've been here since last Sunday.
我就住在這里,至少打上周日起我就住在這兒了。
You see, I'm the new teacher at the school.
我是學校新來的老師。
You are?
是嗎?
Yes, I am.
沒錯。
How do you like it?
感覺怎么樣?喜歡這個地方嗎?
Well, as a matter of fact, I want to quit and go home in San Francisco.
怎么說呢,說實話我想走了,回舊金山的老家,
But at the same time I have a feeling I ought to stay.
不過我又覺得我該留下來。
What do you think? Shall I go, or shall I stay?
你說我是該走還是該留?
Depends on what you're looking for.
這取決于你到這兒來尋求什么。
I stopped here twenty-four years ago because I decided I wasn't looking for anything any more.
24年前,我決定留在這里是因為我確定我不再追求什么了。
Well, I was mistaken. I was looking, and I've found exactly what I was looking for.
結果我錯了,我發現那時我仍然在追求,而且我找到了我所追求的東西。
What's that?
你所追求的是什么呢?
A chance to take my time. What are you looking for, Miss McCutcheon?
是悠閑自得的生活。你又尋求什么呢,麥卡琴小姐?
Well...
嗯……
I mean, beside a husband...
我的意思是,除了找個丈夫之外……
I'm not looking for a husband. I expect a husband to look for me.
我可不是來找丈夫的,我指望丈夫來找我。
That's fair.
這倒也合乎情理。
I'm looking for a chance to teach.
我在尋找一個教書的機會。
That's fair too.
這也合情合理。
But this town... The children just don't seem to care about anything—whether they get good grades or bad, whether they pass or fail.
不過在這個鎮子里……孩子們好像什么也不關心,成績是好是差,是及格還是不及格他們都不在乎。
On top of that, almost all of them are unruly.
除此之外,幾乎所有的孩子上課時都不守規矩,
The only thing they seem to be interested in is games, and the sea.
好像只對游戲和大海感興趣,
That's why I'm on my way to the beach now.
所以我現在要去海邊。
I thought if I could watch them on a Saturday, I might understand them better.
周六在海邊觀察觀察他們,沒準能讓我更好地了解他們。