How do you expect to do that?
你打算怎么把他弄回來呢?
Well, we put an ad in the paper.
嗯,我們在報上登了個廣告。
This paper? But your father's not in town. How will he see an ad in this paper?
這份報嗎?可是我們都知道你爸不在鎮上,他怎么會看到這份報上的廣告呢?
He might see it. Anyhow, we don't know what else to do.
他沒準能看到。反正我們也沒有什么別的辦法。
We're living off the money we saved from the summer we worked, but there isn't much left.
我們現在只好花我們夏天干活掙的錢,剩下的也不多了。
The summer you worked?
你們夏天干活?
Yeah. The summer before last, just before we moved here.
對,是去年夏天,在我們搬到這兒以前。
We picked cotton in Kern County. My father, my mother, and me.
我們在克恩縣摘棉花,我爸、我媽還有我。
What do you say in your ad?
你在廣告里都說了些什么?
Well, I say... 'Clark Larrabee, come home. Your fishing tackle's in the closet safe and sound.
嗯,我說,“克拉克·拉臘比,回家吧。你的漁具在壁櫥里完好無損,
The fishing's good, plenty of perch, and bass.
漁情不錯,有不少河鱸,還有海鱸。
Let bygones be bygones. We miss you. Mama, Clay, Roxanna, Rufus, Clara.'
過去的都過去了,我們都想你。媽媽、克萊、洛克沙娜、魯弗斯、克拉拉。”
Do you think if my father reads it, he'll come home?
你說我爸看到后會回家嗎?
I don't know, Clay. I hope so.
克萊,我說不準,但愿如此吧。
Yeah. Thanks a lot for the haircut, Mr. Van Dusen.
是啊,謝謝你給我理發,范杜森先生。
(Clay goes out. Harry takes off the hat, and begins to shave.
(克萊出了理發店,哈里摘下了帽子,開始刮胡子。
A pretty girl in a swimming suit comes into the shop, closing a colorful parasol.)
一位身著泳裝的年輕漂亮女子進了店,合上了她那色彩鮮艷的陽傘。)