Man: So, what do you think has made you successful as a businesswoman?
那么,您認為是什么讓您成為一名成功的女商人呢?
What is it that makes someone able to progress as an entrepreneur in the business world?
是什么讓一個企業家在商界成長?
Woman: Well, in my case,
嗯,對于我來說,
I think it's more a reflection of my mental capacity than all the books I've read and the skills I learnt at university.
我認為心智的表達比我讀的書和在大學時學的技能更加重要。
I mean I can write a good letter now but that isn't going to make me successful.
我的意思是,我現在能夠寫一封很不錯的信件,但這并不會讓我成功。
But I've got a fundamental understanding of business.
但我對做生意有了基本的了解。
I can see very easily in my mind how things are going to go.
我可以在腦海中想出事情會如何發展,這非常簡單。
Man: OK. Let's move on now to talk about your career. First, you got into the soft drinks business ...
好的。我們現在來說說您的職業。您先是進入了軟飲料業……
Woman: Yes ... in the late eighties.
是的……在80年代末。
But we soon found that importing drinks is a bit of a dull business - nothing much was happening,
但我們很快就發現,飲料進口是個枯燥的行業——不會發生什么要緊的事情,
so we sold up in 1991 and thought 'What shall we do now?'
因此,我們在1991年把公司出售了,之后就思考:“我們現在要做什么呢?”
We decided to go travelling for a year, but we wanted to work while travelling.
我們決定外出一年,但我們想在出行的同時進行工作。
Then when we were in Australia, we met someone in the drinks industry who had a chain of restaurants there. He took us on.
我們在澳大利亞時遇到了飲料業人士,他在那邊有多家餐飲連鎖店。他帶我們轉了轉。
My brother was a waiter and I was working in the office, doing a lot of the day-to-day running of the restaurant,
我哥哥做了名服務員,我則在辦公室里工作,我做了餐廳的許多日常經營管理工作,
and in doing that I learnt the basics, such as what to buy, how many chefs to employ and so on.
通過這些工作,我學到了一些基本知識,例如要買什么、要雇傭幾名廚師等等。
Man: And you stayed there until 1994.
您1994年才離開那里。
Woman: Yes, then we came back here and started the Pacific Grill straight away.
是的,然后我們回到這里,馬上就開了Pacific Grill餐廳。