Man: I have in the studio with me today Olivia Peyton,
今天我們的演播室里請來了奧利維亞·佩頓,
who set up the Pacific Bar & Grill with her brother Tom in 1994, when she was 30.
1994年,她和她哥哥湯姆開了一家名叫Pacific Bar & Grill的餐廳,那時她30歲。
They now have a restaurant chain with a £20 million turnover.
他們現在開了餐飲連鎖店,營業額高達2000萬英鎊。
Olivia, what gave you the drive to achieve so much at such a young age?
奧利維亞,您如此年輕就有了這樣的成就,請問您的動力來自于哪里呢?
Woman: Well, our parents taught us the important lesson that you should never be afraid of failure.
嗯,我們的父母給我們上過重要的一課,那就是永遠都不要害怕失敗。
But really, it was when we moved to England from Australia when I was a teenager.
但實際上,我的動力來自于我們少年時期從澳大利亞搬到英國的時候。
I felt like an outsider, because of my accent and interests,
我感覺自己是個局外人,因為我的口音和興趣愛好與他們不同,
so that gave me a strong desire to do better at school than those who'd always lived here.
這讓我在學校里特別想比那些一直在這里生活的學生表現得更加出色。
I felt the need to be educated. I was more likely to take chances ...
我需要教育。我要抓住機會……
Man: You didn't study catering at university though, did you?
您在大學時沒有學習餐飲的相關知識,對嗎?
Woman: No. I'd never thought of that as a career. I studied English Literature.
沒有。我沒有把這個當做一個行業。我學的是英語文學。
My parents tried to persuade me to take up a career in finance - my best exam results at school were in Maths.
我父母勸我從事金融行業——我上學時考試的最高分來自數學。
So they were disappointed when I did Literature ... but I wanted to be a writer regardless of whether I could write!
所以,我學了文學讓他們感到很失望……但我想當個作家,不管我能不能寫出來!
I didn't do fantastically well in my degree, though.
但我的專業并沒有學得特別好。