Woman: So that's the preparation, but are there any factors which make the presentation itself difficult, even if you are prepared?
那這就是準備工作,但有沒有什么讓演講變得困難的地方,即使你做了準備?
Man: Well obviously, yes.
顯然是有的。
Some speakers imagine, quite wrongly, that every audience is unfriendly, at least at the beginning.
一些演講者會想象每個聽眾都十分不友好,至少在開始時會這么想,這是非常錯誤的。
And this affects their performance.
這會影響他們的表現。
And then there may be a few people who worry about their lack of experience of public speaking.
而且會有一些人擔心他們缺乏公眾演講的經驗。
But really what bothers most speakers is things like the OHP and the microphone - are they going to work, and so on.
但令演講者感到最為麻煩的應該是投影儀和麥克風之類的東西--它們能否正常使用,等等。
Woman: Are there any techniques that are effective for overcoming feelings of anxiety?
有沒有什么技巧能夠有效克服緊張感?
Man: Well, first I have to say that some people never manage to reduce their anxiety levels.
首先我要說,一些人從不設法減少緊張感。
What they can do is learn to relax their face muscles while they speak, so that they look relaxed,
他們會在演講時放松面部肌肉,這讓他們看起來很放松,
even though they feel just as anxious as before.
即便他們和之前一樣緊張。
In order to really reduce anxiety, some experts recommend concentrating on something that you enjoyed recently -
為了真正減少緊張,一些專家建議把注意力集中在你最近喜歡的東西上面--
but I find this is hopeless ... I just forget what I was about to say!
但我覺得這個方法沒用……我會忘記我要說什么!
For me though, what has worked is some simple breathing exercises, breathing in deeply and slowly while making a pause.
而對我來說有效的方法是做一些簡單的呼吸練習,在暫停時慢慢做深呼吸。
This definitely slows down the heart rate. That's what I would try first of all.
這的確會降低心率。這是我首先要去嘗試的。
Woman: Something we can all try - Dr Carter, thank you very much indeed.
我們都可以試試這個方法--卡特博士,非常感謝您。