Woman: Welcome to 'Mid Afternoon,' Dr Carter.
卡特博士,歡迎您來到《Mid Afternoon》節目做客。
Now, I imagine you're here in Birmingham to promote your recently published book 'The Art of Giving Presentations'.
現在,我猜您來伯明翰是為了宣傳您最新出版的《演講的藝術》一書。
Is that right?
對嗎?
Man: Well, not really, no!
嗯,不是!
In fact the book isn't really recent at all - it came out at the beginning of last year.
實際上,這本書根本不是新出版的--它是在去年年初出版的。
I'm actually here this week to give a series of talks outlining some ideas I've had since then.
我這周來到這里是為了做一系列座談,簡述一下在那之后的萌發的一些新觀點。
Woman: So are these ideas the basis for your next book?
這些觀點是您下一本書的基礎嗎?
Man: Well, it's really too early to talk about that!
談這個就太早了!
Woman: I see. Now tell me, how did you become involved in this particular area of communication skills?
我知道了。現在說說,您是如何參與溝通技巧這一特定領域研究的呢?
Man: Well, many years ago, as a young sales executive, I had to give presentations, but I felt I wasn't doing them very well.
許多年前,我還是一名年輕的銷售員,我要作演講,但我感覺我不是做得很好。
My boss never actually criticised me, and my colleagues weren't doing any better than me,
我的老板從不真正批評我,而且我的同事做得不比我好,
but the point was that I didn't feel satisfied with my performance.
但重點是,我對自己的表現不滿意。
You see, if I'm doing something, I have to do it well.
你知道的,如果我在做一件事,我就必須要把它做好。
Woman: So you decided to do something about improving your performance.
所以您決定改進您的表現。
Man: That's right.
是的。
I tried to find some books to help me but there weren't really any available in those days ...
我試著找一些書來提供幫助,但在當時,我沒法買到這種書……
so I eventually decided on a totally practical approach:
所以我最后決定用一個絕對實用的方法:
I tried to find out what my problem was by studying the way the best speakers gave presentations,
通過學習最出色的演講家做演講的方法,我試著找出自己的問題所在,
by talking to them, even watching them prepare.
我還與他們對話,甚至觀看他們是如何做準備的。
Then I compared their performance with mine.
然后我將他們的表現與我自己的表現進行對比。