Why did I laugh tonight? — John Keats
《今晚我為什么大笑》約翰·濟慈
Why did I laugh tonight?
今晚我為什么大笑
No voice will tell
沒有聲音會告訴你
No God, no Demon of severe response
沒有上帝,沒有惡魔的嚴厲回應
Deigns to reply from Heaven or from Hell
從天堂或地獄回復
Then to my human heart, I turn at once: Heart!
然后我立刻捫心自問:心呀!
Thou and I are here sad and alone
你和我一樣悲涼而又孤獨
Say wherefore did I laugh?
我說,我為什么大笑?
Oh mortal pain!
啊,致命的苦痛!
Oh darkness!
啊,黑暗!
Darkness! Ever must I moan, to question Heaven and Hell and Heart in vain
黑暗!我要嗚咽著問遍上蒼、冥府和我自己的心靈,縱然徒勞
Why did I laugh?
我為什么大笑?
I know this Being's lease
我知道生存的租期
My fancy to its utmost blisses spreads
我讓幻想伸展到極樂的境界
Yet could I on this very midnight cease
但我也許在今夜停止呼吸
And the world's gaudy ensigns see in shreds
見到塵世的彩旗一片片碎裂
Verse, Fame, and Beauty are intense indeed
詩,名,和美都是強烈的
But Death intenser
但死更強烈些
Death is Life's high meed
死是生命的最高酬勞