"Do I?" Renly shrugged. "So be it.
“是么?”藍禮聳肩,“大概是吧。
Stannis was never the most cherished of brothers, I confess.
我得承認,史坦尼斯在我們兄弟之間向來不大討喜歡。
Do you suppose this tale of his is true? If Joffrey is the Kingslayer's get—"
嘿,你覺得他那個故事有沒有可能?如果喬佛里是弒君者的——”
"—your brother is the lawful heir."
“——你哥哥就是法定繼承人。”
"While he lives," Renly admitted.
“如果他活著,”藍禮承認。
"Though it's a fool's law, wouldn't you agree?
“這算那門子傻瓜律法,你不這么認為么?
Why the oldest son, and not the best-fitted?
為什么要選最老的,而不是最好的?
The crown will suit me, as it never suited Robert and would not suit Stannis.
王冠正適合我,正如它從未適合勞勃,更不會適合史坦尼斯。
I have it in me to be a great king, strong yet generous, clever, just, diligent,
我能當個偉大的國王,強大而慷慨,聰明,公正又勤勉,
loyal to my friends and terrible to my enemies, yet capable of forgiveness, patient—"
對我的朋友我無比忠誠,對我的敵人我決不寬恕,我有寬大的胸懷,耐心——”
"—humble?" Catelyn supplied.
“——以及謙遜?”凱特琳補充。
Renly laughed. "You must allow a king some flaws, my lady."
藍禮哈哈大笑:“你總得允許國王有幾個缺點嘛,好夫人。”
Catelyn felt very tired. It had all been for nothing.
凱特琳疲倦得無以復加。最終我還是一事無成。
The Baratheon brothers would drown each other in blood while her son faced the Lannisters alone, and nothing she could say or do would stop it.
這對拜拉席恩兄弟即將骨肉相殘,她兒子仍舊只能孤軍面對蘭尼斯特,而她什么也勸說不了,怎么也阻止不住。
It is past time I went back to Riverrun to close my father's eyes, she thought.
是我返回奔流城為爸爸闔眼的時候了,她心想,至少我能做到這個。
That much at least I can do. I may be a poor envoy, but I am a good moumer, gods save me.
我也許是個糟糕的使節,但我能當個挺好的悼亡人,諸神保佑我。
Their camp was well sited atop a low stony ridge that ran from north to south.
他們的營地精心構建在一條南北走向、低矮多石的山岡上。
It was far more orderly than the sprawling encampment on the Mander, though only a quarter as large.
營區雖然只有曼德河畔那座大營的四分之一左右,卻要整齊有序得多。
When he'd learned of his brother's assault on Storm's End, Renly had split his forces, much as Robb had done at the Twins.
當藍禮得知哥哥突襲風息堡的消息之后,立刻將部隊分開,正如羅柏當日在孿河城下之所為。
His great mass of foot he had left behind at Bitterbridge with his young queen, his wagons, carts, draft animals,
他把龐大的步兵軍團留在苦橋保護他的王后、車輛、輜重、牲畜、
and all his cumbersome siege machinery, while Renly himself led his knights and freeriders in a swift dash east.
以及那堆笨重的攻城機器,然后率領手下的騎士和自由騎手星夜揮師東進。
How like his brother Robert he was, even in that...
他的舉手投足多像他哥哥勞勃啊,連行為方式也那么相似……
only Robert had always had Eddard Stark to temper his boldness with caution.
只是勞勃有奈德伴隨左右,每每以謹慎調和他的沖動。
Ned would surely have prevailed upon Robert to bring up his whole force, to encircle Stannis and besiege the besiegers.
如果今天在這里的是勞勃和奈德,奈德一定會堅持把整個大軍盡數遣來,包圍史坦尼斯,圍攻圍攻者。
That choice Renly had denied himself in his headlong rush to come to grips with his brother.
可藍禮輕率地否定了這一選擇,急急忙忙跑來對付他的哥哥。