The structures are meant to be problematic.
這些建筑意在成為有問題的所在
They embody the difficulty of settled foundations -architecture echoing politics.
它們象征了既有基礎所包含的困難建筑回應著政治
What, after all, do you build on a rift?
畢竟你在裂谷上還能建造什么呢
Here, near the northern end of the Great Rift Valley,fault lines are unavoidable -masonry will pull apart.
這里接近東非大裂谷的北端 斷層線是無法避免的石料建筑將會被撕裂
One house is impossible to enter.
有一座房屋沒法進入
Another is marked by a widening crack.
另一座上出現了一條漸漸擴大的裂縫
They're works which speak to contemporary fears of homelessness but which are also imprinted with memories of ancient habitation.
這些建筑表明了當代人那無家可歸的恐懼感 但它們也被印上了關于古代住所的記憶
We are, after all, in the place where the earliest civilisations made their dwellings.
我們所處的這個地點 正是原始文明制造房屋住所的地點
These are in every sense our primal building blocks.
這些建筑從每個層面說都是我們的原始居住區
There is this amplified, you know,break going on between Israelis and Palestinians,
以色列人和巴基斯坦人之間 有一種不斷擴張的割裂行為
which I'm aware of and I'm upset about and I'm feeling sometimes I need to do something about it,and this was kind of to do something about it...
這是我意識到并且感到很擔憂的 我有時候感到要對此做出一些行動 我現在所做的就是這種行動吧...
And do you think art can do that or...?
你覺得藝術可以完成這件事 還是...
Someone has to believe in it and I think that, you know,if you go very back in time,
必須有人相信這件事 而且我覺得 如果你能回到很久以前
which is that moment that I'm always moved by,the moment when I see these very ancient objects, you know,somebody at a far point in time had the urge to leave a mark on a stone.
就是那個一直很能讓我感動的那個時刻 就是我看見這些古老的建筑物的時刻 某人在很遙遠的某個時刻 有一種要在石頭上留下印記的沖動
You know, to leave a permanent mark, to make something that would last and to really actually send a communication to an unknown future.
要留下一個永久的痕跡 要制造出某個 可以永久存在下去 可以真的 向未知的未來發送某種訊息的東西
For 50,000 years, humans have been setting these marks down,likenesses and patterns on every conceivable material and in every imaginable style.
五萬年以來 人類一直在將這些痕跡 將畫像與圖樣以各種可以想象的風格記錄在 各種可以想到的材料之上
Great art collapses the time and space separating us from its moment of creation.
偉大的藝術自其誕生的那一刻起就把分割我們的時空壁壘給打破了
It gives us pause.
它給我們帶來了暫停
It makes us reimagine the world in countless, unanticipated ways.
它讓我們以無數種意想不到的方式 來重新構想這個世界