The phone rings in the dining room. James stops work and answers it.
飯廳里的電話響起來。詹姆斯停下手里的活兒去接電話。
Hello. Hello, is that James, the butler?
喂。喂,是管家詹姆斯嗎?
Yes, sir, it is. James, is my wife at home?
是的,先生,是我。詹姆斯,我妻子在家嗎?
Yes, sir. Good. Can you bring her to the phone? I want to speak to her at once. Be quick!
在,先生。很好。你能讓她來接電話嗎?我想馬上跟她講話。快點兒!
Very good, sir. So you want me to bring your wife to the phone. Is that right, sir?
好的,先生。您是讓我去請您妻子來接電話,對嗎,先生?
Yes, yes, James. Now just go and do it. (James goes off slowly. Henry speaks to himself.)
對,對,詹姆斯。現在就去叫她來。(詹姆斯慢條斯理地下場。亨利自言自語。)
My wife's got a lover, I think. But I must know! What's James doing? And where's my wife?
我覺得我妻子有個情人。不過我得弄清楚!詹姆斯在干什么?我妻子在哪兒呢?
(James comes back slowly and speaks into the phone.) Hello, sir. James speaking.
(詹姆斯慢條斯理地走回來,接起電話。)喂,先生。我是詹姆斯。
Hello, James. So where's my wife?
喂,詹姆斯。我妻子在哪兒?
Your wife is at home, sir, but she can't speak to you at the moment, I'm afraid.
您妻子在家,先生,但是恐怕現在不能跟您講話。
She can't speak to me! My wife can't speak to me! Why not?
她不能跟我講話!我妻子不能跟我講話!為什么不能?
Well, sir, she's in the bathroom... In the bathroom! ...with a man.
呃,先生,她在衛生間......在衛生間!......跟一個男人在一起。
(Putting a hand to his head) With a man!
(以手撫頭)跟一個男人在一起!
But don't worry, sir, it's only Mr Blessiu, the plumber. He's working in the bathroom.
不過別擔心,先生,那個人是管道工布萊修先生。他正在衛生間干活兒。
(Not listening, speaking to himself) She's in the bathroom with her boyfriend! I knew it! James, can you do something for me?
(沒聽電話,自言自語)她跟她的情人在衛生間里!我就知道!詹姆斯,你能替我做件事嗎?
Of course, sir. Go into my bedroom, and find the box under my bed. In that box there's a gun. Take it out, James.
當然,先生。去我的臥室,把我床下的盒子找出來。盒子里有把槍,把它拿出來,詹姆斯。
Very good, sir. You want me to go into your bedroom, find the box under your bed, and take out the gun. Is that right, sir?
好的,先生。您要我去您的臥室,找到您床下的盒子,把里面的槍拿出來,是嗎,先生?
Yes, James, yes! Just go and do it.
是的,詹姆斯,是的!現在就去拿!
(James goes offslowly. Henry speaks to himself.)
(詹姆斯慢條斯理地下場。亨利自言自語。)
I knew it! My wife's got a lover! But soon James is going to come back with that gun, and then...
我就知道!我妻子有了情人!不過很快詹姆斯就會拿著槍回來,
(James comes back with the gun.Into the phone) Hello, sir, James here.
(然后...詹姆斯拿著槍回來了。對著電話)喂,先生,我是詹姆斯。
Hello, James. Have you got the gun?
喂,詹姆斯,你拿到槍了嗎?
Yes, sir. I went into your bedroom, found the box under your bed, and took out the gun. I have it with me now, sir.
拿到了,先生。我進了您的臥室,在您床下找到了那個盒子,把槍拿出來了。我現在就拿著槍呢,先生。
Right, James. Now listen carefully. I'm listening very carefully, sir.
好的,詹姆斯。現在聽好了。我在仔細聽著呢,先生。