This brings me to my final story -- about encouraging transformational change in others.
這就引出了我最后的故事--關于鼓勵他人進行變革。
The real heroes of that little story that I'm going to tell you are really my great colleagues at the International Monetary Fund.
我要講的這個小故事的真正英雄,是我在國際貨幣基金組織的出色的同事。
In 2011 -- at the height of the sovereign debt crisis in the Europe
2011年,在歐元區主權債務危機最嚴重的時候,
my colleagues produced a highly controversial piece of research on European banks.
我的同事們對歐洲銀行業進行了極富爭議性的研究。
European leaders had been insisting that their banking systems were basically OK.
歐洲領導人一直堅持認為他們的銀行系統基本上沒有問題。
But our analysis showed that these banks were sitting on massive amounts of bonds
但是我們的分析表明,這些銀行坐擁大量債券,
that were worthy only a fraction of the value listed in their books.
這些債券的價值僅相當于其賬面價值的一小部分。
We were pretty sure at that time that the emperor had no clothes, or little of it.
我們非常確定,在那個時刻,皇帝沒有穿新裝,或者只穿了很少的衣服。
And we were extremely worried that this could be the Europe's Lehman Brothers moment. So we took the research.
我們非常擔心這可能是歐洲的雷曼兄弟時刻。因此我們進行了研究。
I gave a speech in Jackson Hall where all the bankers get together in August to make a loud and clear call for action.
2011年8月份,所有的銀行家都在杰克遜霍爾聚集,我在那里發表了講話,發出了響亮且明確的行動呼吁。
The pushback was swift and hard.
抵制行動迅速而猛烈。
Bankers and ministers lining up to publicly discount and discredit our analysis and criticize me.
銀行家和部長們紛紛公開貶低、否認我們的分析并批評了我。
But over the next 12 months, these banks did exactly what we were calling for
但是在接下來的12個月中,這些銀行卻完全按照我們的呼吁行動,
raising hundreds of billions of euros in fresh capital.
募集了數千億歐元的新資金。
And European leaders began to revamp the regulatory structures to create a safer and sounder banking system.
歐洲領導人開始改革監管結構,以建立更安全、更健全的銀行體系。
Now this was a defining moment personally and indeed for the IMF.
對于我個人,當然也對于世界貨幣基金組織而言,這是一個決定性的時刻。
As you know, we lend money to countries in times of distress and trouble when nobody else is prepared to lend,
如你們所知,世界貨幣基金組織會在某個國家遭遇困難、且沒有其他國家準備好放貸時向該國提供貸款,
so that they can get back on their feet, access the financial markets again.
以便它們能重新站起來,再次進入金融市場。
But we also play a key role in sounding global alarm bells and encouraging global cooperation.
但是我們在敲響全球警鐘和鼓勵全球合作方面也發揮著關鍵作用。
At its best, the IMF is, in the words of economist John Maynard Keynes, a "ruthless truth-teller".
用經濟學家約翰·梅納德·凱恩斯的話說,世界貨幣基金組織的最佳角色就是“一個無情的說真話的組織。”
And in 2011, we told an inconvenient truth -- and it mattered.
2011年,我們說出了一個大家不愿面對的事實,而這非常重要。