Chapter 6 A tea party
第六章 茶會
Nick looked through the doors of the tea room in the Empress Hotel.
尼克從皇后酒店茶座的門口往里看去。
Meg Hutson sat at a table with a man. The man was about thirty, or maybe a year or two younger. He was tall, and brown from the sun. He wore a white shirt, white trousers, and white shoes. He said something to Meg, and she laughed. She looked very happy.
梅格·赫特森和一個男人坐在桌子旁。那個男人有30來歲,或者還要年輕一兩歲。個子很高,臉被太陽曬成了棕色。他穿著白襯衣,白褲子和一雙白鞋子。他對梅格說了些什么,她笑了。她看起來非常高興。
A waiter came up to Nick. 'Can I get you some tea?' he asked.
一位服務員走到尼克跟前。“來些茶嗎?”他問道。
'No, thanks,' said Nick. 'I'm with the two people over there.' And he walked across to Meg's table.
“不了,謝謝,”尼克說,“我是跟那邊那兩個人一起的。”接著他便朝梅格的桌子走去。
'Hello, Mystery Girl,' said Nick. 'Remember me? We met at Whistler. Your name was Jan then. But maybe today it's Meg Hutson.'
“你好,神秘女孩兒,”尼克向她打招呼,“還記得我嗎?我們在惠斯勒見過。你那時候叫簡,可今天也許叫梅格·赫特森吧。”
Meg Hutson looked up at him. 'Oh,' she said, and her face went red.
梅格·赫特森抬頭看著他。“哦。”她開口道,臉色變紅了。
'Who is this, Meg?' asked the man.
“這位是誰,梅格?”那個男的問道。
'This is Nick,' said Meg. 'He's a writer. Nick, this is Craig Winters.'
“這是尼克,”梅格說道,“是位作家。尼克,這是克雷格·溫特斯。”
'Sometimes called Mr Hollywood?' said Nick.
“有時也叫好萊塢先生,是不是?”尼克說。
'Maybe. But how did you know that?' asked Craig Winters.
“也許是。可你是怎么知道的?”克雷格·溫特斯問道。
'I guessed,' said Nick. 'And I think I'm beginning to understand. Can I ask you a question, Mr Winters? Does somebody want to kill you?'
“我猜的,”尼克答道,“我想我開始明白了。能問你一個問題嗎,溫特斯先生?是不是有人要殺你?”
Craig Winters' face went white. 'Kill me?'
克雷格·溫特斯的臉色變得慘白。“有人要殺我?”
'What are you talking about?' asked Meg.
“你在說什么呀?”梅格問道。