"My mother's name was Eyre; she had two brothers; one a clergyman, who married Miss Jane Reed, of Gateshead;
“我母親的名字叫愛,她有兩個兄弟,一個是位牧師,他娶了蓋茨黑德的簡·里德小姐;
the other, John Eyre, Esq., merchant, late of Funchal, Madeira.
另一個叫約翰·愛先生,生前在馬德拉群島的沙韋爾經商。
Mr. Briggs, being Mr. Eyre's solicitor, wrote to us last August to inform us of our uncle's death,
布里格斯先生是愛先生的律師,去年八月寫信通知我們舅父已經去世,
and to say that he had left his property to his brother the clergyman's orphan daughter, overlooking us,
說是已把他的財產留給那個當牧師的兄弟的孤女。
in consequence of a quarrel, never forgiven, between him and my father.
由于我父親同他之間一次永遠無法寬恕的爭吵,他忽視了我們。
He wrote again a few weeks since, to intimate that the heiress was lost, and asking if we knew anything of her.
幾周前,布里格斯又寫信來,說是那位女繼承人失蹤了,問我是否知道她的情況。
A name casually written on a slip of paper has enabled me to find her out.
一個隨意寫在紙條上的名字使我把她找到了。
You know the rest."
其余的你都知道了。”
Again he was going, but I set my back against the door.
他又要走,我將背頂住門。
"Do let me speak," I said;
“請務必讓我也說一說,”我說,
"let me have one moment to draw breath and reflect."
“讓我喘口氣,好好想一想。”
I paused -- he stood before me, hat in hand, looking composed enough.
我停住了——他站在我面前,手里拿著帽子,看上去夠鎮靜的。
I resumed --
我接著說:
"Your mother was my father's sister?"
“你的母親是我父親的姐妹?”
"Yes."
“是的。”
"My aunt, consequently?"
“那么是我的姑媽了?”
He bowed.
他點了點頭。
"My uncle John was your uncle John?
“我的約翰叔父是你的約翰舅舅了?
You, Diana, and Mary are his sister's children, as I am his brother's child?"
你,黛安娜和瑪麗是他姐妹的孩子,而我是他兄弟的孩子了?”
"Undeniably."
“沒有錯。”
"You three, then, are my cousins; half our blood on each side flows from the same source?"
“你們三位是我的表兄表姐了。我們身上一半的血都流自同一個源泉?”
"We are cousins; yes."
“我們是表兄妹,不錯。”