"Whereas I am hot, and fire dissolves ice.
“而我很熱,火要把冰融化。
The blaze there has thawed all the snow from your cloak; by the same token, it has streamed on to my floor, and made it like a trampled street.
那邊的火已經化掉了你斗篷上的所有的雪,由于同樣原因,雪水淌到了我地板上,弄得像踩踏過的銜道。
As you hope ever to be forgiven, Mr. Rivers, the high crime and misdemeanour of spoiling a sanded kitchen, tell me what I wish to know."
里弗斯先生,正因為你希望我寬恕你毀我砂石廚房的彌天大罪和不端行為,那你就把我想知道的告訴我吧。”
"Well, then," he said,
“那么好吧,”他說,
"I yield; if not to your earnestness, to your perseverance: as stone is worn by continual dropping.
“我讓步了,要不是向你的真誠屈服,就是向你滴水穿石的恒心投降。
Besides, you must know some day, -- as well now as later.
另外,有一天你還得知道,早知晚知都一樣。
Your name is Jane Eyre?"
你的名字是叫簡·愛嗎?”
"Of course: that was all settled before."
“當然,這以前已全解決了。”
"You are not, perhaps, aware that I am your namesake? --
“你也許沒有意識到我跟你同姓?
that I was christened St. John Eyre Rivers?"
我施洗禮時被命名為圣·約翰·愛·里弗斯?”
"No, indeed!
“確實沒有!
I remember now seeing the letter E. comprised in your initials written in books you have at different times lent me;
現在可記起來了,我曾在你不同時間借給我的書里,看到你名字開頭的幾個字母中有一個E,
but I never asked for what name it stood.
但我從來沒有問過它代表什么。
But what then? Surely" ----
不過那又怎么樣?當然——”
I stopped: I could not trust myself to entertain, much less to express, the thought that rushed upon me --
我打住了。我不能相信自己會產生這樣的想法,更說不上加以表達。
that embodied itself, -- that, in a second, stood out a strong, solid probability.
但是這想法闖入了我腦海——它開始具體化——頃刻之間,變成了確確實實可能的事情。
Circumstances knit themselves, fitted themselves, shot into order:
種種情況湊合起來了,各就各位,變成了一個有條有理的整體,一根鏈條。
the chain that had been lying hitherto a formless lump of links was drawn out straight, -- every ring was perfect, the connection complete.
以前一直是一堆沒有形狀的鏈環,現在被一節節拉直了——每一個鏈都完好無缺,鏈與鏈之間的聯結也很完整。
I knew, by instinct, how the matter stood, before St. John had said another word;
圣·約翰還沒有再開口,我憑直覺就已經知道是怎么回事了。
but I cannot expect the reader to have the same intuitive perception, so I must repeat his explanation.
不過我不能期望讀者也有同樣的直覺,因此我得重復一下他的說明。