One of the ways we might get to the truth about gravity
我們可以獲得引力真相的手段之一,
is to try and fit it into the beautiful framework we have that describes the sub-atomic world.
就是嘗試將它融合進我們所描述的亞原子世界的美麗的架構之中。
Quantum mechanics predicts that the force of gravity should be transmitted by a particle.
量子力學預言引力應該通過粒子進行傳遞。
We call this particle the graviton.
我們把這個粒子稱為引力子。
If we could just find these gravitons,
如果我們能夠找到這些引力子,
then we might at last arrive at a quantum theory of gravity,
那么我們就能夠最終完成引力的量子理論,
a universal theory that will work everywhere in the cosmos.
一個普適宇宙的宇宙理論。
For eight years, Greg Landsberg has been using Fermilab's particle accelerator to try to create gravitons.
八年里,格雷格·蘭茨貝格一直在利用費米實驗室的粒子加速器,試圖創造出引力子。
These particles, though we haven't quite seen them,
這些粒子,雖然我們完全看不到它們,
so what I'm telling you is...
然而我要告訴你的是……
Haven't quite seen them?! That's right. It's our hypothesis,
完全看不到它們?對。它是我們的假設,
so we don't quite know if this is true or not.
所以我們完全不知道事實究竟是什么。
It's amazing that the way to see the graviton is by NOT observing it,
讓你吃驚的是,那個找到引力子的方法不是靠觀察它的存在,
by observing it's missing.
而是靠觀察它的消失。
To see something that's missing, Greg is effectively looking for missing energy.
為了看到有東西消失,格雷格實際上是在觀察能量的消失。
Typically, when you bash things together,
通常情況下,你將物體猛然碰撞在一起時,
the energy of the original particles should be the same
初始粒子的能量應該是一樣的,
as the total energy of all the particles coming out.
隨后所有的粒子的總能量將會顯現出來。
But if you were to make a graviton in that collision,
但是如果你在那個碰撞中加上引力,
then our detectors are certainly not capable of seeing it,
那么我們的探測器肯定沒法探測出來,
so the graviton will take energy away from the collision.
因此引力會從碰撞中帶走能量。
Energy will appear to disappear.
就會出現能量消失的現象。